Winter insulation

Lark216

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2023
Hi everyone! I'm wondering if I want plexiglass over the cage on three sides in winter. Thanks in advance!
IMG_20231015_161204_01.jpg

Where are you? We're in Wisconsin and most use a heavy plastic or clear shower curtains to block the wind. Plexiglass is expensive, but if you already have some or think plastic won't hold up, that'd sure do the trick!!

Depending on where you are and what kind of chickens you have would determine what protection from winter you need. Blocking off blowing snow/freezing rain/cold wind is ok but you still need to ensure they have adequate ventilation. Lack of ventilation is more harmful than the cold winter weather.

Where are you? We're in Wisconsin and most use a heavy plastic or clear shower curtains to block the wind. Plexiglass is expensive, but if you already have some or think plastic won't hold up, that'd sure do the trick!!
I'm in Denver. Clear shower curtains work? Thanks!

Clear shower curtains should work. I have hooks along the top edge of my run then another row of hooks part way down so I can easily put up or take down as needed depending on the weather and need for ventilation. On the side that gets the most exposure to the wind I have an old porch blind mounted that stays there all the time, I can raise or lower it as needed but air can still move thru it. It breaks up the strong breezes and keeps out a lot of the rain or snow. Each coop and run setup is different so you have to find what will work best for you. Just keep in mind what having to make adjustments in bad weather and cold would be like and try to make it as easy on yourself as possible. It's no fun trying to put up plastic when it's below freezing, you've got a storm coming in and the wind is gusting.

X2 to shower curtains. My wife picks them up at Dollar General/Dollar Tree and their super cheap. I'm in Michigan so wind/blowing snow is the norm. I block off the North and West side completely and leave upper half of South side open for vent.

For that small of a cage clear plastic shower curtains should be fine. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a grommet kit which easily enables me to put grommets where I want to attach the curtain to the cage frame and to customize the size of the curtains used.
IMG_1145.JPG

Clear shower curtains should work. I have hooks along the top edge of my run then another row of hooks part way down so I can easily put up or take down as needed depending on the weather and need for ventilation. On the side that gets the most exposure to the wind I have an old porch blind mounted that stays there all the time, I can raise or lower it as needed but air can still move thru it. It breaks up the strong breezes and keeps out a lot of the rain or snow. Each coop and run setup is different so you have to find what will work best for you. Just keep in mind what having to make adjustments in bad weather and cold would be like and try to make it as easy on yourself as possible. It's no fun trying to put up plastic when it's below freezing, you've got a storm coming in and the wind is gusting.
So I could hang the shower curtains loose and move and remove them as needed? To promote air flow like.

So I could hang the shower curtains loose and move and remove them as needed? To promote air flow like.
:thumbsup during windy weather you can tack the bottom down with rocks or something so it's not waving around. Me personally I tack the bottom part that is going to stay in place all winter with staples but my run is some new wood, a lot of scrap wood and parts of cut down trees as the corner poles so I don't mind putting staples in mine. For a fancier coop like yours holding down the bottom of the curtains with rocks might be better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom