1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter is almost over have your hens started laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninabl, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    I didn't put lights in my coop this winter and my hens quit for the season. Have yours started laying again yet?

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course I live in a different climate, but ours actually have been laying better with the cooler weather and shorter days.

3. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    That's good. I let my hens have the winter break. This coming fall I will hopefully be moved and have lights setup for them so they can keep going. They live in a tractor right now but I plan to build them a nice big coop by mid summer. I was just curious when they should start laying again without the artificial sun lite. Thanks

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Couldn't tell you. I don't artificially alter the length of day. From my experience, I'm not convinced that it works all that well. The idea comes from "egg factories" using it to optimize production. As I said, my hens are doing great without it. We've been getting 9 eggs/day from 12. [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure someone will disagree with me, but that's been my experience.

5. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    We also gave ours the option of a break and they did not stop until they went into a molt, Took them about a month to start back up.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My hens took a break from November to December, and then around the second week of January they started laying again. My 3 buff orps and 1 rir never stopped laying.

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm near the cities in Minnesota and yes! I collected a dozen from the flock the other day. From the 30 of them, their ages range from 3 to 8 years old. It's just annoying to have to wash eggs again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by