Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

yep probably so, I don't take any chances so far I have not seen the hawk yet,
we do have some crows which keeps hawks away I have seen them chase the hawk out of the area before.
will be keeping a watchful eye, and they do have places to hide, and they seem to run when they see something overhead,

the poppster, Thank you
big_smile.png
That is cool, can you post a picture. Since i am in the building process i can make additions before i get the girls :)

Quote: That's been my experience: the grass/clover is always greener ( and therfore doubtless, tastier) on the other side of the run wire ......

....they want what they want.....

FWIW: we had a long "Indian Summer" her3 in eastern Nebraska ..... nightime temps above freezing until the first week of Nov........ and then down into the teens.......

.... the 9 BOrp pullets are doing well (7 eggs today, 8 the day before that and 7 the day before that ..... not bad for free will layer mash, random scratch grains and whatever we don't eat ..... oh and no supplemental lighting or heat) ...... they are in a tractor ..... which is becoming a PITA to move in the mud, now......

That's been my experience: the grass/clover is always greener ( and therfore doubtless, tastier) on the other side of the run wire ......

....they want what they want.....

FWIW: we had a long "Indian Summer" her3 in eastern Nebraska ..... nightime temps above freezing until the first week of Nov........ and then down into the teens.......

.... the 9 BOrp pullets are doing well (7 eggs today, 8 the day before that and 7 the day before that ..... not bad for free will layer mash, random scratch grains and whatever we don't eat ..... oh and no supplemental lighting or heat) ...... they are in a tractor ..... which is becoming a PITA to move in the mud, now......
At some point you might want to think about parking it for the winter. That's what I do with my tractor for the winter. I use a bunch of straw bales around the tractor and straw in the run to set it up for the girls. I parked it next to the garage to use it as a wind break, and have it be close enough that I can run a cord to it to run a water heater and a string of Christmas tube lights.

Last edited:
At some point you might want to think about parking it for the winter. That's what I do with my tractor for the winter. I use a bunch of straw bales around the tractor and straw in the run to set it up for the girls. I parked it next to the garage to use it as a wind break, and have it be close enough that I can run a cord to it to run a water heater and a string of Christmas tube lights.

I like this suggestion, I had been thinking of moving mine a lot less in this first winter, and now I think I may just put it up against the back of the garage and park it.
They get let out of the tractor for free ranging almost every day anyway.

Kinda has made me think of switching to a full time non tractor, and upsize so I can get more chickens :)

I use my little tractors for growing out chicks, or segregation.

But when winter comes they get permanently frozen to the ground.

I am a but bummed, since mine got stuck BEFORE I moved them the last time, so they are stuck in a funky location. :(

I use my little tractors for growing out chicks, or segregation.

But when winter comes they get permanently frozen to the ground.

I am a but bummed, since mine got stuck BEFORE I moved them the last time, so they are stuck in a funky location.
sad.png
The trick is to park it before it gets cold enough to start freezing the ground. Of course, for you in Alaska, that could start happening in September.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom