Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LadyCluck77, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Chickies2

Chickies2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Great, so what are the measurements for each?

2. minmin1258

minmin1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Col BG thank for the info! Checking search box now for more info. Guess my source didn't know what she was talking about either! Now I feel like a real dork! : (

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I think it can be hard to wade through all the information and it does take time to find the correct information and there is also a lot of misinformation out there too. Sometimes you have to read several threads before you start to see the common thread of what people are saying. No worries about not having all the correct information. Posting questions is how we all learn. I've learned a lot already today on these threads with people way smarter than I am. It can be humbling ...that I understand. LOL>

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    My coop design is a run coop enclosure. Run on bottom and a portion of upper level is boxed in for the roost and nest boxes (which some one used yesterday!!! [​IMG]) since its all enclosed we don't install a door on the pop hole. So here's my question, will chickens walk through a flap to get to their roost? I was thinking of hanging clear material like price of shower curtan over the pop hole so the area might retain a little heat at night. I know they can deal with cold better than heat but I thought this might help block some draft and hold a little heat. We boarded up one side recently because we had a cold northern blow in. We wanted to block the cold wind.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Gotcha.....in these long, multi topic threads it's best to use the quotation function when asking about a particular posting.

Boy, that's for sure!!

I've found the best way to do a search on BYC is the 'advanced search' function, small text link under the big white search field at top of pages.....and you still have to read thru a lot of tripe to winnow out the good info.

Here's an example for Chickies2 and her ACV question:
    advanced search>titles only>ACV

1 person likes this.
  6. Rettarain2

Rettarain2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013

7. Rettarain2

Rettarain2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    Great photos. Lots of work. Wanna come to MI AND redesign mine..lol.
    Okay. So CAN THE LADIES GET TO WATER SO HIGH UP? It seems high to me but then I'm new at this and am learning along the way. ...This site s the BEST!!!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm already in MI :D The height of the waterer is fine for all the birds, especially the roo - so he doesn't dip his wattles in the water.

1 person likes this.
  9. jsmith2952

jsmith2952 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    @ Rettarain2: I had my chicken waterer AND cookie tin warmer on a cement block like the one in the above mentioned photo--was too high for my girls, so I just plopped it down on a stepping stone I had kicking around (2 inches thick) and it seems to work better for them. They're sex links, so they're good-sized hens, I think they just like their water lower to the ground, because they could reach the water when it was on top of the cookie tin and cement block...I just think they didn't want to because it's more fun to bug me that way... ha ha

1 person likes this.
  10. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Mine are up on blocks too, so the polish don't dip their crests in the water. I wouldn't want to wear a frozen hat, so I don't want them to either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by