Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I have the clear, plastic Wal-Mart car mat flaps on my coop doors to keep out the flies in summer and it cuts down on cold drafts in winter.

I cut them to fit the inside dimensions of the pop hole so they swing both ways freely. Otherwise the chickens would have trouble pushing through if they were larger than the doorway and only pushed open from one direction. I cut them a few inches longer on top so they can be stapled to the inside wall.

It's never been any problem getting new chickens used to going through the flaps. All were able to master the flaps in no time.
I was looking for this answer too, this sounded helpful!

I have the clear, plastic Wal-Mart car mat flaps on my coop doors to keep out the flies in summer and it cuts down on cold drafts in winter.

I cut them to fit the inside dimensions of the pop hole so they swing both ways freely. Otherwise the chickens would have trouble pushing through if they were larger than the doorway and only pushed open from one direction. I cut them a few inches longer on top so they can be stapled to the inside wall.

It's never been any problem getting new chickens used to going through the flaps. All were able to master the flaps in no time.

Any chance you could post a picture of this?

For anyone who is interested, azygous posted pics here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/481560/door-flaps#post_12336486

Last edited:
When I went down to let the animals (chickens, turkeys & goats) out of the barn this am there was fog on the plastic I put over the door and window. Does that mean they don't have enough ventilation or does it just mean they are staying warm in there. It was 28* There is some ventilation on at the top ao the door and at the top sides of barn.

I've had the same experience, fog on the glass in my coop. From what ive read, that can be a sign of humidity. My thermometer read only gives temps, but I've considered upgrading to one that registers humidity as well. It's like ten dollars more, but may be worth it.
If you're in Georgia, the humidity might already just be in the air. The weather yesterday did start out rainy, so I wonder if that was a part of it for my coop.

I also noticed a dog peed on the plastic covering the fencing around the coop.

Yes, it is humid here, but I'm in the northern part of the state in the mountains so we do get cold (for the south) weather. There is less humidity in the winter. My barn is 16x22. 3 mini goats, 4 turkeys, and about 25 chickens sleep in there and free range most of the day. I just don't want to cause them any breathing problems.

^ sounds a little too humid in there with the fogginess.

My main goal is to block wind and keep it as dry as possible.

What do you typically do to prepare for winter?
Plug in the electric dog bowl.
Collect many many filled bags of autumn leaves for the run, slightly chop them with the mulching blade of our lawn mower & then store the bags in the garage after poking small holes in the sides for air.

How do you feel about heaters or red lamps in the coop on cold nights?
No & never will... 1st: FIRE! 2nd: Power outtage, which we get often = then what?
They'll shiver after getting used to the warmth.

Do you use a tarp or cover in your run area?
Oh yes ... and just ordered a clear 30ml tarp from mytarp.com
What advice would you offer to someone starting out?
Get cold-hardy breeds.
Don't use an additional heat source for them, acclimate them instead.
Commit yourself to getting them unfrozen water daily, no matter what the weather is.

Last edited:
I have to inform all that giving warm watery oatmeal every morning has kept the ladies happy in the cold MI mornings.... and laying prolifically. I get 7 a day!!!!!

Wow, that is so awesome! I cannot wait for mine to start laying every day! They were moved from about 2 hrs away and are in a bit of shock right now. But I have gotten 6 eggs over a little over a weeks time. :)

Starla D

When I went down to let the animals (chickens, turkeys & goats) out of the barn this am there was fog on the plastic I put over the door and window. Does that mean they don't have enough ventilation or does it just mean they are staying warm in there. It was 28* There is some ventilation on at the top ao the door and at the top sides of barn.
is the fog on the window or on the plastic. I get fog on the inside of the plastic from time to time, but it's usually from moisture that got trapped from outside (ex: rain got in and sat in the bottom - not a lot, just a few drips). If you have fog or frost inside the window, then you have a humidity issue.

is the fog on the window or on the plastic. I get fog on the inside of the plastic from time to time, but it's usually from moisture that got trapped from outside (ex: rain got in and sat in the bottom - not a lot, just a few drips). If you have fog or frost inside the window, then you have a humidity issue.

The part that is covered by plastic only has hardware cloth behind it. It does have a glass window that I will check tomorrow morning.

I don't use light and they only sleep in there. They have a creek running by that they drink from. In the 15+ years we've been here its never frozen. I feed out side as well.

Back
Top Bottom