Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

I have started making my list also...I have my coop and run between our barn and wooded area...the wind im not as worried about as i am the snow and ice run off from the barn (quonset hut) (pic on my profile)..at the time we were deciding the placement snow and ice were not thought about...so im thinking maybe bales of straw might work...but wonder if that will also cause massive amounts of ice buildup if weather/mother nature slams us again...i wanted to add a drain just inside the run...that idea was knocked down because it would build up freeze..thaw some then prob refreeze...causing more issues in the run than with doing nothing...im open to ANY ideas you might throw at me brainstorming...

Drainage can be tricky, we had to help neighbors dig a channel for run-off near their garage. In this instance, the building was located in a slope area, so the land drained that way. What they wound up doing was lifting the building a couple of feet and adding a cement foundation.
The draining water/ice runoff can somewhat be "guided" if you dig about a 2ft by 2ft channel along the area you want the water to go, and let it flow into an area that slopes, if you can find the right topography.
Do you have any photographs of what the land and slope looks like? Is your coop resting on the ground-level, or is it elevated on posts or blocks?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the ideas. This is my first winter with chickens and I'm a bit nervous about it. I have decided not to heat my coop, but must say I am worried about frostbite. I will have a heated water dish in the run, that I intend to plastic up (don't want it in the coop to build up moisture).

Are chickens more likely to get sick (virus) during the winter or are most of the respiratory issues due to poor ventilation in the coop? Can I transfer viruses to my chickens if I get sick? I know transmission of some viruses can jump from chickens to humans, I was just wondering if we can transfer other cold viruses (not talking about the flu) to them?

I have been around the sun 63 times.

It is not my first "Rodeo!"

Nobody "I know" heats a chicken coop.

Healthy "cold hearty" chickens die from heat not cold.

I live in Canada last year was subject to -40º (C or F take your pick) no light or heat in coop NO PROBLEMS.

Chickens have been raised on this continent for over a hundred years without heat.

If you feel you must supply heat to your chickens I suggest keeping your chickens in the house that way you can huddle with your birds when the hydro goes out.

Chickens will die from cold if not given the chance to acclimatize. Hydro is more apt to go out in an ice storm or blizzard when subject to below 0º temperatures in my opinion.

How would you supply heat then to your un-acclimatized birds ???

Check out my Link:

Chickens Arctic Conditions

Prolonged Periods

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/738994/chickens-arctic-conditions-prolonged-period

I totally agree! I'm in Ohio, and although not quite as bad as where you are, it still can get pretty cold. I am NOT heating my coop. Heat lamp or otherwise. My Granny didn't, I won't! We are going to insulate the coop better, and put clear plexiglass over the 3 windows, with a bit of a vent to breathe.

My nephew had like 4-5 heat lamps ALL winter and into the spring last year. Yes, he's a dumby!! He said they'd stop laying and freeze otherwise. Guess whoever told him how to keep chickens told him wrong! I think the place where he got them. So they could sell him all the fancy equipment to warm them. Lol..

Anyway, good shelter, good food, and fresh water will get them through just fine. Oh, we are going to wrap the first part of the 3 runs, so they have a snow-free area to come out in.

Thanks everyone for all the ideas. This is my first winter with chickens and I'm a bit nervous about it. I have decided not to heat my coop, but must say I am worried about frostbite. I will have a heated water dish in the run, that I intend to plastic up (don't want it in the coop to build up moisture).

Are chickens more likely to get sick (virus) during the winter or are most of the respiratory issues due to poor ventilation in the coop? Can I transfer viruses to my chickens if I get sick? I know transmission of some viruses can jump from chickens to humans, I was just wondering if we can transfer other cold viruses (not talking about the flu) to them?

So glad this thread is helpful to others! I've also decided to keep a heated waterer, outside, protected under a little portico. From what I have heard about frostbite, keeping out moisture is the best preventative. We will see how it goes.
I do have leghorns with large single combs, they are the only ones I am worried about, especially since they are so thin as it is- typical Mediterranean breed bodies. Super friendly and great layers though! My fondness for them makes me worry about them the most.
My observations of them so far is that when they are cold, they do cuddle with the plump poofy girls for warmth. For the past two nights it has dropped below freezing at night, and so far, everyone's been okay. Of course it will be getting much, much, colder.

That is a good question about illnesses. When we hear of things like "Avian flu" it definitely makes a bird owner worry.
From what I understand, it is not at all typical for viruses to pass from human to bird. However, do be careful if you visit agricultural fairs or poultry shows, wash your hands and change your clothing before you handle your own birds after visiting other birds. Also, do not use the same shoes you wore to the event to go into your run or coop until they have been sterilized with a mix of water and lysol.
If you show your own birds, they will have to be tested for Avian diseases regularly and it's a good idea, if you can, to isolate them when they come home from a show too.
If you keep pigs as well as chickens, the equation becomes a little tricky. Some studies suggest that pig's bodies are similar enough to humans that in theory, it is possible for viruses to pass from human, to pig, then to bird. It also becomes possible for diseases to go from bird, to pig, to human in that way. Even this is rare, though.

I do have leghorns with large single combs, they are the only ones I am worried about, especially since they are so thin as it is- typical Mediterranean breed bodies. Super friendly and great layers though! My fondness for them makes me worry about them the most.
My observations of them so far is that when they are cold, they do cuddle with the plump poofy girls for warmth. For the past two nights it has dropped below freezing at night, and so far, everyone's been okay. Of course it will be getting much, much, colder.
Lady Cluck: I don't have leghorns, but Here's the thing that I noticed about my hens last winter is they do tuck their heads under their wings if real cold at night. My Roo never did and I don't know if it was because he had larger wattles and comb to deal with or if it's just a hen thing.

Anybody winter Leghorn hens and know if they can get everything tucked under a wing?

I live in north Idaho - where it can get quite cold here in the winter! What I do for winter is put a heat light in the coop on at night and early morning. Also, every morning after I get up I put very warm mixed with red pepper flakes in their waterers to give them a warm feeling and so it's not frozen during the day. I don't cover my run or coop because the heat lamp gives them some heat (my coop is kinda small so that might help also).  I've been doing chickens for two years now and have had no causalities preparing for winter this way.  

Nice tip on the red pepper flakes. Question - i am using apple cider vinegar in their water. Can I also put I the red pepper flakes in their water too!

Last edited:
Hi, I am in Fl and it doesn't get bad cold here but it does get really chilly, and I have young Lavender & a Blue Orpingtons and a couple RIRs and was just thinking since it doesn't get below but too close to it for me haha, about feeding them something to help them raise their body temperatures along with a wind break and lots of hay

I heard corn is good for that, and heard that scratch feed is cracked corn, or do I need whole and also have read on here a lot about grit? Was wanting to know what that is? Is it just attitude or a feed ir something? I am blonde, but decent school grades:) also I admire all of yalls coops and runs, they are nice:)

Back
Top Bottom