Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Hi Kitkat,
:welcome

It sounds like you're ready for winter. I think the plastic is helpful to keep snow out of the run for sure, I found this out because my chickens absolutely hate to stick their feet in the snow! So I encouraged my husband to build a sort of "portico" where they could have some ground space. They pretty much hang out in there and under the coop when they're outside.

My chickens hate the snow too, so I built a little overhang comming off the coop for them to hang out under.I also make several paths in there run with the snowblower when it snows just so they can at least walk around alittle.

We have some straw/hay down so they don't have to walk on the cold snow & ground all the time. That's in the first pen they come out into. They have 3 huge areas. Giving them some rolled oats and bird seed mixed as a snack {besides their layer feed} gives them energy and keeps them moving around. That in itself helps warm them. Plus and solid coop to go back in to when they want.

The rolled oats are good for them I mix them with unsalted peanuts and raisins they love it,then in the afternoon I give them a birdseed mix with some corn and sunflower seeds in it.Seems to help them deal with the cold better,I've been doing this for a few years with good results,I haven't lost any in the winters so far."knock on wood".

You will see some discoloration and spots that look like sores or scabs,you can try petroleum jelly or vasoline that helps and make sure the coop is dry but well ventilated so no moisture can build up.

Our coop is ventilated and draft -free. But it still gets below freezing point often so I was just wanting to know. thanks!

Great advice MyPetNugget vasoline/petroleum jelly OR Bag Balm are all good for preventing Frost bite but BEWARE... Do not RUB them into the combs and wattles. Use a dabbing motion to put it on. If you already suspect frostbite or deep freezing rubbing will cause the ice inside the frosted area to break free and possibly break up undamaged cells inside. So rubbing or massaging is definitely not advised!!!!

Great advice MyPetNugget vasoline/petroleum jelly OR Bag Balm are all good for preventing Frost bite but BEWARE... Do not RUB them into the combs and wattles. Use a dabbing motion to put it on. If you already suspect frostbite or deep freezing rubbing will cause the ice inside the frosted area to break free and possibly break up undamaged cells inside. So rubbing or massaging is definitely not advised!!!!
Thank you minmin1258. I have not seen any signs of frostbite yet, but I they were all cuddled up on the roosting bars all day so I would really want to know how to treat it if one of them had it. T

Back
Top Bottom