Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I had put up clear plastic (shower curtains/ stapled up) around my run BUT the icy wind tore half of it off last night. I have t go out and tear down the messed up part and put up some new stronger plastic tomorrow. Going t have t put more bedding in the coop and straw in th run. My coop isn't heated nor insulated and so far my babies have bn fine, but -27 is pushing it!!! Which is temps expected overnight Monday. Oh and I better get th bag balm out as a preventative measure.

The wind got me to, ended up making a frame with strapping and sandwiching the clear shower curtain, since I did this we had a couple of wicked storms and everything held together.

Well they survived just fine last night was -10 the coldest temps we've had in CT in almost 20 years and they seem unfazed,fed them there morning snacks and they all came out.

Well they survived just fine last night was -10 the coldest temps we've had in CT in almost 20 years and they seem unfazed,fed them there morning snacks and they all came out.

That's good to hear. They are predicting negatives Monday with windchills adding another 25 degree drop. There is a chance that school will be canceled because we don't want kids waiting for buses in that bitter cold. On that day, I may not let them out of their coop (at least until I get home (since I work for a school) around 3:30). Today was the first day they've gotten to free range out of their pen because the snow was melting. Hopefully they didn't get their feet too wet.

CG

Glad to hear this! We're going to be around -10 Monday & Tuesday and it hasn't been that cold since I've had chickens. I've contemplated bringing them all in, but I'm thinking they can handle it. We'll bring the bantams & my two big roosters in, but I think we'll see how the rest do.

It seems like were all getting hammered by this crazy cold winter this year.We are supposed too be dipping into the single digits again by Tuesday and another storm on Thursday,so far no frostbite and today they were out of the coop in the balmy 21 degree temps.

We had -10F on Friday morning, everyone was fine, bit of frost bite on roosters combs.
Had to go out every hour or two to keep water liquid and egg gathered...one froze to crackage...but temp went up to17 by afternoon.
Got more coming...3 days/nights with -7 as low and 4 for a high, plus 4-10 inches of snow and high winds.
Glad I don't work and can keep an eye on things frequently all day.

I know you have got too be on top of it collecting the eggs I've had a couple crack myself,I have been doing good so far with the water not freezing thanks to my cookie tin heated base.

Back
Top Bottom