Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
I like the oil heater idea..i was thinking of that but dont want the ladies getting weak to fight off cold temps. Think ill stick with my 75 watt bulb for now..the floor is thick with straw..dont want them fried...so concerned about fire!!!
If you go with a very small 600 watt oil rad heater, cage it in and keep the t/stat low, it will cycle on and off, and keep the deep chill out of the coop. This far more effective thana brooder heat bulb, even though I do have both, but it gets extreme up here. I have only had the little heater turned up 1/2 way in the coldest weather, it is usually on low....

I never had problems too much with frostbite. My rule of thumb was temperatures around the freezing point door and ventilation windows open. Temperatures around 15º F or -10ºC and ventilation windows closed. Since I added 7 more birds to my flock (17 birds housed in coop) I find my ventilation windows have to be left open 24/7 to avoid frostbite. My coop is a salvaged 4x8 footprint shed.
Your coop should be very comfortable with that many in that size coop alot of heat given off by them,I have a 10'x13' coop with about 35 chickens and it's not too bad in there but I do have plenty of shavings and nest boxes and several perches for them too huddle.

If you go with a very small 600 watt oil rad heater, cage it in and keep the t/stat low, it will cycle on and off, and keep the deep chill out of the coop. This far more effective thana brooder heat bulb, even though I do have both, but it gets extreme up here. I have only had the little heater turned up 1/2 way in the coldest weather, it is usually on low....

I AM DEFINATLEY GOING TO DO THAT..THANKS OH SO MUCH !!!! :)

Here is my answer for this, but I am going make a "Blanket Statement", to all of those in the South or northern areas to, I do sympathize with this cold, it will be brief for most of yall, in my case it will be 75

% of the winter with nightly temps below 0f.
This is my little insulated coop with heat sources, works for me. We are blessed with the lowest priced electricity in North America, and power outages are very rare.....

This sure puts things into perspective! Great pictures - with the exception of that thermometer reading!! Brrr!

My coop is a 2 story coop, each level is 4x8 and 3 feet high-with a ladder from bottom level to top level. My plan for the frigid temps is to enclose the chickens in the top level (there are 7 of them), feed cracked corn, pellets, BOSS, and lots of fresh water. I am also adding an extra thick layer of pine shavings. I am thinking of taking a couple of heavy plastic jugs ( maybe the type laundry detergent comes in) and filling them with HOT water and setting them in there to radiate a little extra warmth. Does anyone see any issues with doing this?

My coop is a 2 story coop, each level is 4x8 and 3 feet high-with a ladder from bottom level to top level. My plan for the frigid temps is to enclose the chickens in the top level (there are 7 of them), feed cracked corn, pellets, BOSS, and lots of fresh water. I am also adding an extra thick layer of pine shavings. I am thinking of taking a couple of heavy plastic jugs ( maybe the type laundry detergent comes in) and filling them with HOT water and setting them in there to radiate a little extra warmth. Does anyone see any issues with doing this?

Too be honest with you I wouldn't even waste my time with the jugs,I don't know what your temps are but you'd be surprised how fast they will get cold.I think your chickens will be fine for what you are doing keeping them contained in the second level of your coop,they will huddle with eachother.When I first had chicks a few years ago I had 7 in a 9'x9' coop and they made it through the winter with no problems,just make sure you have plenty of shavings or hay.

Your coop should be very comfortable with that many in that size coop a lot of heat given off by them,I have a 10'x13' coop with about 35 chickens and it's not too bad in there but I do have plenty of shavings and nest boxes and several perches for them too huddle.
I honestly thought I would have more trouble with the pecking order in that close of quarters but I have been very lucky so far. The three levels see to be the secret. They ventured out side a bit today we had temperatures around the freezing mark (that is a heat wave for us as of late). My shavings are frozen harder than concrete and I have folded feed bags in my nest boxes which are a snap to maintain. I have a few chickens that sleep in the nest boxes. The majority sleep on their roost and clean up is a Easy Peasy in my set up.

Last edited:
Too be honest with you I wouldn't even waste my time with the jugs,I don't know what your temps are but you'd be surprised how fast they will get cold.I think your chickens will be fine for what you are doing keeping them contained in the second level of your coop,they will huddle with eachother.When I first had chicks a few years ago I had 7 in a 9'x9' coop and they made it through the winter with no problems,just make sure you have plenty of shavings or hay.

Thanks..I won't bother with it in that case. I put down a heavy layer of shavings and upped the food/water. They also have the nesting box area which is very dry, dark and has no windows-they really seem to like it there. We are headed for 10 below so hopefully they will be ok.

Bought the hay last night and spread it out. And I used extension cords to run a single flood light to each roost. I will turn them on only tomorrow night & maybe Tuesday night, when temps will be hovering near zero.

By the way, I had a big accident today when putting vaseline on my roosters combs. I had to catch them, and one rooster broke one of his spurs in the process. Poor baby. He had all the hens tending to his booboo. And then he scraped his comb in the dirt till he about got all the vaseline off. SMH.

Bought the hay last night and spread it out. And I used extension cords to run a single flood light to each roost. I will turn them on only tomorrow night & maybe Tuesday night, when temps will be hovering near zero.

By the way, I had a big accident today when putting vaseline on my roosters combs. I had to catch them, and one rooster broke one of his spurs in the process. Poor baby. He had all the hens tending to his booboo. And then he scraped his comb in the dirt till he about got all the vaseline off. SMH.

I'm not running a light in my coop but have the hay, plastic and extra food going. I hope its enough for my Southern Bells. They say the wind chill will be -30*, Brrrr.... I don't want to go out in that. Now to figure out what to do with the dogs. I have a Lab who does not like to come inside. I have her house full of hay too, but think at -30* she may have to spend the night in the laundry room.

Back
Top Bottom