Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Today we piled up more snow against the plastic sides of the runs to make sure there are no ground level drafts. Everyone is still going out for most of the day. I was in all three runs and it felt warmer in there than in the coops this afternoon. I can't find my silkies faces, they are too fluffy.

I like the oil heater idea..i was thinking of that but dont want the ladies getting weak to fight off cold temps. Think ill stick with my 75 watt bulb for now..the floor is thick with straw..dont want them fried...so concerned about fire!!!
Please.... to all using heat lamps tonight. Make sure they are triple secured to different points of the lamp and different on the framework of your coop. Put chicken wire around the bulb area so if the socket slips from the lamp the bulb and socket wont be in contact with bedding as easily. Double triple check them each day that those sockets are twisted in tight to their frame work. Make sure your power strips are New or are in good condition. Check your connections for water/shorts. Lots of good experienced chicken people have had coop fires. Keep them away from flapping wings and cords that can be pulled are kept from entangling with the birds. Carabiners, zip strips, chicken wire...secure. secure. secure.
old.gif
Protect yourselves. The chickens and the hobby you love. Your investment which is your coop.

My coop is a 2 story coop, each level is 4x8 and 3 feet high-with a ladder from bottom level to top level. My plan for the frigid temps is to enclose the chickens in the top level (there are 7 of them), feed cracked corn, pellets, BOSS, and lots of fresh water. I am also adding an extra thick layer of pine shavings. I am thinking of taking a couple of heavy plastic jugs ( maybe the type laundry detergent comes in) and filling them with HOT water and setting them in there to radiate a little extra warmth. Does anyone see any issues with doing this?
I think this is a good idea. Water loses it's heat slowly. It can't hurt. You might find ice chunks by morning...but it will take them a while to get that way.

The bulb i am using is NOT a heat lamp.its clamped onto rafter and wrapped around it a few time.and the ladies are up on rafters to roost..bldg is 16x9. I think im gonna do the hot water jugs... the lets hope it doesnt get as cold as they claim it will...

We are having the coldest weather in years, here in KY. Sounds like it’s all over! 4° with a windchill well below 0. Today, our chickens didn’t bother to go outside the coops. I finally just shut the door to the run – it’s not a chicken door, but about 4 ½’ high and 2 ½ ‘ wide – right now my only access to the run. So it lets a lot of wind and cold in. I brought their water inside – which had to be replaced twice today; it was frozen solid, even inside the coop – and they have food inside, too. Lots of hay on the floor and I keep it fluffed up in case they want to burrow into it.

One frozen egg in the poo-board this morning. It was cracked and had PDZ and poop all over it, so that one was lost! Went out two times to give them hot water and check for eggs – found another frozen one in a nest, and one in progress, for which I waited! Going out to check on them now…

Everyone, keep warm!

Good morning my Chicken people! Reporting this morning from Ohio. Last night was THE coldest it has been in many years. It got down to like -21 or so. Our girls made it through just fine! The water in their waterer is frozen, but as soon as it thaws, I'll be taking it out with warm water.

My Husband built this coop sturdy & warm. We close them up every night, and in this super cold, I give them a BIG evening/before roosting snack of oats and cracked corn. They gobble it up and stay warm all night. And no, we have NO heat lamp or anything out there. We decided not to for a couple of reason. If the elec. went out and they were relying on heat they'd be in big trouble. Plus, my Grandparents had them and had NO heat in their coop either. Our coop is solid wood with no drafts. We have a few small vents under the eves partially open, but I even put a board over one of those last night.

I hope everyone is keeping warm and Happy laying!

We are having extreme temps here was 56* and pouring yesterday now it's 8* and 30mph winds,I'm not even gonna bother letting them out because they hate the wind but I will check them later and bring them there daily snacks.

Mine did well also-our temps were about -10 with -30 wind chill, crazy cold! We do not have heat or light in our coop but lots of extra bedding, along with supplemental food, treats, vitamins, oatmeal etc... I was fortunate to be home from work for this bad weather so I was able to check frequently and replace the frozen waterer with a fresh one. When I checked on them they were always comfortable and active. I am building a new coop this spring and now know that heat will not be necessary, as I don't expect we (Ohio) will see these temps again for quite some time. Interesting experience-to all of you chicken keepers out there who say that chickens do just fine in the frigid weather....YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!

I am thankful mine are okay..noticed some frost on their walls...INSULATION THIS SPRING.. lots of goodies being fed. I think thats the trick but a bit of froastbite on my Roo... they wont let me touch them so well see what happens come spring
40 below kast night..High about 7 below..TOMORROW 17 YIPPIE!!

We're back to -2 and made it through the worst of it! We had a full 24 hours of right around -14 below and the chickens did ok. Whew! I hope everyone else is doing ok out there, too!

Back
Top Bottom