Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Today we replaced the sunshades on the runs with the winter covers. All the clear shower curtains are in a stack waiting to be put up. I found my cookie tin water warmers, but think I might try bird bath heaters in the buckets this year. We do 5 gallon buckets with horizontal water nipples. I'm hoping I can use the buckets all winter. We feed and water in the runs only.

this will be my first winter with chickens also, I hope I havnt bitten off more than I can chew with my birds.  I have 34 so far and want more.  will having more birds help keep them warm?  they have plenty of cover and seems to be happy.  we are redoing the roof today to make sure more rain doesn't get in.  I also will be watching this thread for any and all ideas for a newbie like me!

I read an article in a chicken magazine... A women in Alaska... Near Nome I think, uses no supplemental heat, she has a good size flock and the birds keep each other warm.

We have a member called Alaskan here that keeps birds with no heat. They do fine. I use no heat here in WI, I just don't keep feather footed birds because of the snow.

Hi Alaskan, sorry for dragging you in, but you are the best example of winter chicken keeping.
smile.png

We're forecast for a snowstorm in my state this coming Saturday. I hope that my shower curtains hold up- we used more washers and blocks to put them up this year in hopes they won't shred as easily.

I'll be posting pics if there's anything interesting (chicken-keeping wise) going on during this storm. I need to document better because I always forget how strong the winds are and how cold it gets.... (repressed memories?)

I'm in
No problem......I am glad to be best at something! :D
Prince George BC and planning not to heat my coop, I have built a wall of hay bales round the coop and run. And they have a thick layer of shaving on the floor. It's my first year with chickens. Hope not to find frozen chickens one morning :0

Back
Top Bottom