Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Rettarain: I think you were talkin t me about the 40* temp? It was still daylight when that temp. I keep it warmer inside the coop by using 2 5 gal buckets of very very hot water with lids on them. They help keep the heat inside the coop nice n cozy. I have to carry water out about five or six times a day. But my happy birds are worth it! They are a little crowded in there too but that will be fixed come spring! : )
I also feel my bantam coop is over crowded. I have the stuff to fix a new coop and run to separate the d'Uccle and Silkie, but the weather has not been agreeable for it. It pours the rain every day I have off... Some of the d'Uccle are piling up with the Silkies under the 75 watt light. If I get a dry weekend to fix the new coop I will and if not I'm telling my self they are okay because they are keeping each other warm. I do turn them out to free range when I'm home to supervise. I know my birds will be fine because they are living fine with those of you in much colder climates. I have they light to try and get the d'Uccle back to laying.

Alaskan, yes, I'm sure you are right about age and breed being the major factors in egg laying. But also yes, quality food in, quality food out!! As far as heating sources I will not put a light in the (winter) stationery chicken tractor w/deep litter. After reading an article posted by a member on BYC I am too worried about fire and about how the chickens would cope if a storm and power outage occurred. I only have 6 total so they are more like pets with benefits for me. I can keep an eye on them easily. I put their tractor right beside my back door. I do use the water heater tape with thermostat on their water. I have some health issues and cannot lug water. But we did have to wrap the waterer with duct tape because the chickens were pecking at the insulation we wrapped around it. I used anything and everything to winterize. I Velcroed clear vinyl to the underneath of the coop where we have doors that open. As it got colder the sticky on the Velcro no longer worked. I had to screw the Velcro to the wood and sewed the Velcro to the vinyl. Then used bricks along the bottom to keep the sand/ash/leaves from coming out from under the PVC. We didn't sit the tractor directly on the concrete we put down tar paper and then weed block on top of the tar paper. I have the "people" door covered with clear vinyl as well and have it running along the bottom of one side. Used regular plastic on other areas with bungee cords and duct tape. Like I said, a little of everything. I put a tarp over the clear roof at night to help keep the day's heat in. Although doesn't seem to help. I sewed the tarp into a pocket square so I could put insulation in it. I used rubber cushion mats my husband had bought to use in the laundry that I hated, but I don't think they are helping. I'm thinking of switching to Styrofoam. On the side by the back door I even used an old door that came off a mobile home and it is working great to keep the wind and water out. See pics below. Oh, yes and I added outdoor grade fabric curtains to put up when a storm is coming. Right now using clothes pins on one side and a curtain rod on the other.

This thread is really important to me because I am new in all this, so I need help, especially during winter.
Welcome Rihanna! Have you checked out the learning tabs? They have a TON of great info! I am pretty new to chickens as well but have found many helpful people here. Where are you located? Do you have harsh winters? I don't have intense winters here in FL, but instead our weather is crazy (80* one day and 30's a couple nights later) My chooks seem to fair pretty well.

This morning the outside temps were -25 F, but inside the coop, it was -7. I guess that's partly better. All of my single comb hens do seem to have a little bit of frostbite on the furthest tips of the combs. The EE does not seem to have any on her pea comb, but even she refused to come outside this morning when I opened the pop door. I wonder if I should have left it shut before leaving for work? When it is that cold, is it better to just keep them locked in the coop, or still let them in the covered run?
The heated waterer is in the run (I was afraid of moisture/spills in the coop)
But I'm wondering if it would be best to put some water inside the coop for them and leave them shut in? I have eight hens- Two Leghorns, Four Red Sex Link/ "Gold Comets", a Marans and an EE. It's not a very large coop- so I worry about them beating each other up if they get bored.
Any thoughts?

LadyCluck: In that weather, if they are not coming out then just leave the door closed. Keep some of that cold out. If your ventilation is good...just bring the water in. Situate it so it won't spill. They are going to eat a little food, drink a little water and then hop right back up on the roost again puff up and nap and conserve their energy for that cold. That's what mine do anyways. In that cold they are very well behaved. :)

-25 is not nice.... We're having a heat wave of upper 20's near 30's. It feels like heaven after the last two weeks! Hope it blows your way too.

-25. good grief. I love winter if it is dry or snowy. This rain is killing me and I just checked the forcast and they are predicting rain again this weekend. Temps in high 50's & 60's. 24* yesterday morning and 31* this morning. I can handle teens and single digets, but -25 my lungs would freeze and shater

We had our first decent snow storm the other day, bringing us 16" of snow. Today it's -19F and according to weather.com it feels like -32 (which having just been out there I would agree with). Here are some pictures of my girls out in the area I shoveled for them. They aren't bothered by the cold at all.

As you can see from the bottom left picture, I had neglected getting the snow off the top of the greenhouse style hoop run. When I went out to add water I realized it was starting to "mushroom". I remedied that situation since we have another 4-8" of snow coming today. Happy healthy girls!

I would take 50's and 60's anyday up here in ct was -4* this morning now it's a balmy 13* and snowing "again" my chickens don't like the snow or wind I open the coop everyday for them to come out but they refuse they only come out for there daily snacks but then go right back in.

I would take 50's and 60's anyday up here in ct was -4* this morning now it's a balmy 13* and snowing "again" my chickens don't like the snow or wind I open the coop everyday for them to come out but they refuse they only come out for there daily snacks but then go right back in.

I think just getting them to come out once a day for treats is super good for them.

Back
Top Bottom