Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
Well its frozen now even saw some snow flakes tonight. I'll prob slide up and break something tomorrow. Just my luck... I had to go get 2 shots and take mega dose if antibiotics for 10 days because I was rehoming roos yesterday and as I was getting one out of carrier to put in their cage a dog came out of no where and got mouth full of feathers roo went nuts trying to get away from dog and me. He got one of his nice clean toe nails hung between my rings and finger. Let's just say not a pretty sight. It wasn't roos fault, but I knocked crap out of dog and let roo go

Doesn't it shock you how many people just let their dogs run all over the place? Since the snows came, I have tracked about six individual dogs who visit my property regularly. (Frozen pee on the plastic of my run was another clue)
Hope that your finger mends quickly, and that you got the satisfaction of disciplining that dog too. Maybe I need a roo to protect my hens.
Would a rooster take on a dog, or would he have no chance?

Doesn't it shock you how many people just let their dogs run all over the place? Since the snows came, I have tracked about six individual dogs who visit my property regularly. (Frozen pee on the plastic of my run was another clue)
Hope that your finger mends quickly, and that you got the satisfaction of disciplining that dog too. Maybe I need a roo to protect my hens.
Would a rooster take on a dog, or would he have no chance?
he'd probably take him on, but he may not win (depending on how determined the dog is)

Well the steroid shot for all the inflammation is making me ill as in mean and hateful. The antibiotics are so string they are knocking me on my rear. But thanks. Send prayers and good vibes my way. My poor family is getting the brunt of it. I was able to bend my fingers enough to wash some dishes and clean the kitchen a little.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6127666/width/200/height/400[/IMG
[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6127667/width/200/height/400

Those are the pictures I sent my Doc friend and ask if I needed to come in. I can't believe the bruising. The back and palm of my hand was black. Just from that little punctur at the base of my finger.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks really painful.
Crummy dog. Glad you got medications. It was a good idea to show those photos to a doctor.
I hope it gets better soon. I will pray for you!

K Epp: Wow. That was quite the response to your injury. I'm glad you got medical attention right away by the looks of it. Our dog is off leash in our yard...but she's a home-body and stays here. We've had a few neighbor dogs tool through our yard but were none the wiser to our "free rangers' The rooster can really anticipate rogue dogs and such. He has everybody hidden and under cover pretty well. **knock on wood** I almost feel my flock are safer free ranging with that Roo than they are all locked up in their run in some situations....to be honest. We had a black bear go busting into our coop last spring (just woke up and hungry) and everybody was out and about and missed their hungry visitor. LOL.
There's some really neat rooster stories on these threads...saving their hens...from all sorts of situations. Amazing stuff to find and read.

To prepare for winter, I will shut a couple windows, get out and dust off the cookietin water fount warmer, aaannnnnd that's it. Will not get out and use heatlamps, won't wrap anything in plastic, no haybales, no carpet or heattape for the roosts, no styrofoam sheets, no added light to extend the day, no special diet plans, no vaseline for combs, no heated rocks, no lava lamps, nuclear fision jetpacks, or LCD TVs. The birds themselves are preparing right now, by growing in their winter feathers. I don't really need to do anything.

900x900px-LL-5f969cf5_55557_img_1354.jpeg
i love your coop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The little red coop above is almost an BYC urban legend… I've seen it everywhere round the site. Nice looking coop however. For winter I will be closing the west facing door and opening up the vents at the top of my single slant roof. That is about it, I have power and lights, but only use a bucket heater with horizontal nipples in the winter. I don't extend the daylight hours with artificial lights, what ever nature has for me will be just fine. I usually insulate my coops and out buildings to even out the temperature swings, I find that I am able to be ten degrees cooler in the summer and 10 degrees warmer in the winter. Sometimes it is a bigger differential, but I can count on 10 degrees in my favor winter/summer.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Back
Top Bottom