Winter is Coming! Checklists, tips, advice for a newbie

Pics
We learned a lot throughout last winter. We had ample opportunity too!
Often it would creep into the -20s and sometimes in the -30s. My backyard had snow up past my chest, and I'm tall for a woman.

In regards to preparations, I was by far the most grateful for the heated waterer. It kept the water from freezing even in those temps. We had no electricity out in the coop, so powering it was a puzzle.

After much brainstorming, DH and I dug a channel between our garage and coop to put an outdoor grade power cord in a weather safe tube, and ran it all the way through. Then we buried it, with the power now running out in the coop.

This past summer, we have been slowly gathering supplies to improve on our coop, one issue we had was lack of covered run space. The little portico gave them a little bit of covered area. The snowdrift blew in hard and ripped most of the plastic, so when it got snow, I would put down hay for them to walk on. Some space, but it wasn't much! So we have been picking up lumber and roofing to expand their covered portion of the run. The run has trees growing in it, so we have had to work around those.

I hope to have that area finished by the end of this weekend.

We basically just build a frame and cover the frame with roofing. The roofing is around $15 per sheet.

I don't even want to think about it yet..... Lol. My birds normally free range but with all our snow and cold last year the were in their run-snow bound- for 6 solid wintertime months. Blech... Two months of fall left though... I'm going to relish in it. Hahaha...

I bought the clear heavy duty tarps we use to cover the runs today as last years are past their best.
I'm giving puppy eyes to my hubby because I would like him to make a little "smoking shelter" for them too so they can have more than one area.
It was mild for us in the uk last year with only a few weeks of frozen water but it was super wet and muddy. The nights are starting to draw in now and it's dark at 8pm and there's that nip in the air in the morning.
No doubt the rats will be back soon now they've cut the corn so that will be my next headache :)

It's that time of year again! Luckily I'm slightly excited to say goodbye to 100+ degree temps, so I'm going to winter-proof the coop before it gets too cold.

This last winter I had a lot of trouble with frostbite. I've heard that smearing Vaseline over their combs and wattles helps prevent this.

I will also be adding insulation to my coop :) I'm super excited about that!

I've located the clear plastic shower curtains that I put on the north side of the runs, and found the tarp that we throw over the top. That's it for my winter preps, except for putting out my cookie tin water heaters. The girls will get nice and puffy, and be just fine.

It's that time of year again! Luckily I'm slightly excited to say goodbye to 100+ degree temps, so I'm going to winter-proof the coop before it gets too cold.

This last winter I had a lot of trouble with frostbite. I've heard that smearing Vaseline over their combs and wattles helps prevent this.

I will also be adding insulation to my coop :) I'm super excited about that!

I have heard that the vaseline gets covered in dirt and gets nasty greasy dirt spots on their feathers.

I think it is much better to

1. Get the waterer OUTSIDE, not in the coop

2. INCREASE the ventilation!

That will reduce the humidity which is a large factor in frostbite.

Also, be VERY careful with wet feeds that might stick to their face.

What Alaskan said about the water and removing additional moisture. Ventilation. Skip the Vaseline. It's worthless. Bag balm is better. (Green square tin). Better yet bird comb type selection is key-- rose comb or cushion are better breed types for cold climates.

Yes my smaller combed birds fared much better than the leghorns, who all have giant combs. My BL rooster did get frostbite, my WL hens got some, they all are healthy otherwise just not quite as pointed combs. With as cold and horrible as it was, I was happy I didn't loose anyone.

We keep our waterer outside, under the coop itself, where they had a little room to get out. There were some weeks when they just didn't want to go outside. I gave them all a quick drink in the coop, then pulled it, as it would have frozen solid pretty quick anyway.

We are processing our extra cockerels this weekend as well, and of course making our adjustments and expanding the run roof.

I have heard that the vaseline gets covered in dirt and gets nasty greasy dirt spots on their feathers.

I think it is much better to

1. Get the waterer OUTSIDE, not in the coop

2. INCREASE the ventilation!

That will reduce the humidity which is a large factor in frostbite.

Also, be VERY careful with wet feeds that might stick to their face.

I keep all food and water outside the coop and in the run. Like you guys said, it helps keep down the humidity. Also, I've never had a problem with rodents in the coop as of yet, so I'll remain not leaving food in there. :D

You say that Vaseline isn't good? That's good to know. Thanks! My wyandottes got along a lot better than the chickens with pointed combs... However, the Columbian Wyandotte's wattles got a little frostbite on the edges. It was super cold and wet last winter, so that is probably why I had such a hard time with frostbite.

Chickens are pretty hardy birds altogether, and they got through winter pretty well--they just HATE walking on snow! I feel like I spoil them by shoveling out the run every time we get snow, lol. Whatever gets them out and about! :)

Back
Top Bottom