Winter is coming, I need pictures of enclosed runs avoiding snow!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by karlamaria, Aug 7, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I am thrilled, I found some one to make me a run that will have a top on it to keep snow out. I need pictures from folks who have dealt with snow and im looking for good idea's please))))))) I only have 350.00 to have it done. Thanks

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I'm sorry, i am not any help. My run has an open roof here in WA. but thread the title reminded me of Game of Thrones.. I can't wait for the next season! [​IMG]

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Snow fencing to the rescue! And straw bales!

Trust me, I get a LOT of snow up here. I am planning on lining my entire run with snow fencing, and on the side that gets the most wind, stack straw bales as wind block.

4. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have pre-cut plexiglass pieces that I screw onto the run on the East side where the snow and wind blow in from. Expensive but very durable for year after year use.

5. chicachic

chicachic Out Of The Brooder

We recently have a had a lot of snow and I had to shovel paths oll over the place so the chickens and ducks could get out. Part of my penned area is covered with corugated plastic sheets on top I recently added a sloping roof made with 2x4s and 2x6s with a 10 inch drop, covered it with heavy duty plastic that is long enough to drop to the ground on the lowest side. the other 2 sides have plastic roll-up shades like the kind one might use on a porch for shade. This way I can keep them down while I'm at work,and roll them up when I'm at home (I can run out and drop them in the event of snow). The back sides of the pen are covered with the heavy duty plastic placed 6 inches away from the structure - i read that this is needed for ventilation - and I keep this up all winter because there is enough air flow from the other sides. I am 60 and am unable to do too much heavy lifting/construction so this works great for me. and cheaper than some options!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  6. arion

arion New Egg

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:I'm up in Marquette myself and have been doing a lot of reading and might do the coop and see if I can find some pullets yet this summer or next spring. It will be good to converse with someone who knows the type of snow we get up here and how to maintain and work with a small flock in this kind of weather.

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I got $5 heavy clear shower curtains at Lowes and stapled them all around my roofed run. I left some openings here and there on the most protected side but in the blizzardy conditions we had last winter, I had to cover most of hardware cloth. I have ridge ventilation in the roof. I put straw on the sand to keep their feet warmer too. They went out all but maybe 5 days last winter and would stay under the coop. Their food and water is outside but if it got super cold I would move it inside for them.

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, look at the coop section here, there are some covered runs there. [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We are using wood for the top and the side. Our run is 22x5x5 and our winter run will be 10x5x5. The boarded run area also provide shade in the summer. My husband is doing all the work and we are using pre treated wood.

Here is our run. The top will be slanted to keep the rain off. Hubby just put the frame for the roof up today. We are adding the wood shading where the tarp currently is and we will have wood along the front.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  10. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] I shovel the snow to the other end of the run and put down straw for them to walk on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by