Winter laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jilara, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Okay, what's the scoop on winter laying? My girls are finally getting to an age when I hope to start seeing eggs, any time now. But it's also heading for the fall equinox, and day length is all downhill from there. It is, however, California, so it's not quite as long a night as in more northernly climes. And I don't know how city light pollution affects laying, either.

So, do you think I will get any eggs this year, or will day length and sexual maturity collide in ways that will keep me from getting eggs until next spring?

Also, one of my ladies is an Ancona, and those are supposed to be good winter layers. So can I hope at least one of the hens will deliver winter eggs?

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    It's all about lighting. A hen needs 14-16 hours to lay well. Put a light in thier coop on a timer and you will get eggs this winter

3. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    i don't use artificial lighting, but my hens lay through the winter. they slow down, but still lay. some breeds will continue to lay after the molt, but adding light does help.

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Mine lay in the winter also. They are free ranged and one whole side of the coop is windows, along with the other side having a large window. I guess they get enough natural light to keep laying sufficiently. The sun rises right into their "big view" side of the coop and sets in the other window! [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine lay right thru winter and I do not use extra lightening...

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Same here, though some of my breeds do slow down.

My RIR's and BR's don't care, its business as usual for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by