Winter lighting question

diggerduck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Marion, IL.
I have seen it on here somewhere, but I am search engine stupid. I had heard that a string of Christmas lights on for 14 hours a day will keep them laying. I plan on giving them heat lamps, just wondering how to best go about keeping them in light. Thanks for any info. Steve

You would do better with a cool white energy efficient bulb, 13w. Lighting not only keeps them awake to eat more but provides vitamins just like sunlight and humans. Therefore a bulb that mimics sun spectrum like a cool white CFL is recommended.

On a side note, I don't provide winter heat. Your birds wont go outside of coop in winter if you provide heat. They become accustom to the temperature so if heated will spend most days in coop. You should read up on winter heating and why many, even in the cold northern states like mine don't use heat. Search "winter heating".

Forget Cfl's They Dont Work So Good In Extreme Cold Anyway... There's An Easier Way. Led X-mas Lights + A Timer. Cheap, Easy, Infinately Flexible, Uses The Least Amount Of Electricity (even Less Than Cfls) And Led Lights Last A Very Very Long Time.

I Recomend Starting With A Light Sensing Timer That Offers Adjustable Length Of On Time.. This Allows Maximum Flexibility And Efficiency. As The Days Start Getting Shorter Just Add More "on Time" To Your Timer. They Automatically Kick On At Dusk And Will Stay On As Long As Your Program Dictates... Dusk - 2 Hrs, Dusk- 4 Hrs, Etc... All The Way Out To Dusk To Dawn If You Wish. These Are Made For Outdoor Use With X-mas Lights And Are Cheap And Readily Available They Plug Into A Wall Outlet Or Extension Cord And Have A Plug Built Into Them So You Simply Plug Your Lights Into Your Timer, Your Timer Into Your Power Source And Then Set Your Program

You Can Use Standard X-mas Mini Lights (for Outdoor Use) If You Wish But You'll Find Many More Times The Longevity From The Led X-mas Mini Lights Instead

Using Rabbit Hutch Type Pen? No Problem, Since Its A String Of Lights Simply Stapel Them To The Under Side Of The Roof, Or Zip Tie Them To The Upper Edge Of The Wire... Make Multiple Wraps For More Intense Light Or To Use Up The Surplus "string Of Lights" They're Available In Sizes From 12 To 40 Ft. Using An Aviary? Still No Problem They Can Be Stapled To The Top Rail, Or Strung Along It Or Even Stretched Across The Netting Or Roof...

OOPS.. 2 TINY LIL TRIVIAL DETAILS= NO COLORS! ALL WHITE OR CLEAR BULBS, AND 2 NO BLINKING! ITS A QUAIL FARM NOT A DISCO
smile.png
SET THEM TO STEAD BURN WHEN YOU STRING THEM
thumbsup.gif

Imagine all the little quail in the pen dancing to Macho Man by The Villiage People.....Once quail running around dressed like a sailor....O the possibilities are endless... Thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom