Winter & lost feathers from mating

ray6082

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
South Western PA
A few of my chickens have lost some feathers due to mating. My roo is extremely gentle with them, but it’s inevitable. I’ve tried saddles but neither the chickens or the rooster like them (he thinks it’s a predator and goes after them when they are wearing it). I was wondering if as the temps drop, if they will get frost bite or be ok? It’s not horrible feather loss, but I am concerned with the long winter months of being cooped up, the mating might get more frequent. I did buy a large dog crate that I was going to separate the rooster for a bit, but it takes so long for the feathers to grow back I don’t think that’s realistic.

Additionally, I had added another coop connected by a run when I got a set of new chickens. Originally, the new flock slept in the new coop with my OG rooster. When I rehomed him and got a new roo, they began all sleeping in the other coop with the older chickens. Now only one of the newer chickens sleeps alone in the new coop. 🥺🥺🥺🥺 I’m so sad for her and don’t want her to be cold in the winter by herself. I thought about adding another roosting perch in hopes maybe she just hasn’t switched bc there isn’t enough room. Thoughts? She doesn’t seem ostracized normally, just sleeps alone.

I was wondering if as the temps drop, if they will get frost bite or be ok?
I had a handful of hens go through winter with bare spots on their backs. The spots were about 2-3" in diameter. They were fine.
but I am concerned with the long winter months of being cooped up, the mating might get more frequent
Mating frequency reduces during winter as many of the hens do not lay during the winter. How old are your birds? If they are going into their second winter, they should be molting, have already molted or will soon.
don’t want her to be cold in the winter by herself
She will keep herself warm as long as her coop is well ventilated and dry.
Can you please post pictures of your main coop, inside and outside and provide dimensions in ft x ft. How many birds total do you have now?

Where in general are you located? You can update your profile with that information so it displays on all your posts.

I had a handful of hens go through winter with bare spots on their backs. The spots were about 2-3" in diameter. They were fine.

Mating frequency reduces during winter as many of the hens do not lay during the winter. How old are your birds? If they are going into their second winter, they should be molting, have already molted or will soon.

Can you please post pictures of your main coop, inside and outside and provide dimensions in ft x ft. How many birds total do you have now?

Where in general are you located? You can update your profile with that information so it displays on all your posts.
Oh I didn’t know mating would reduce!! I don’t have dimensions ATM and I know this isn’t a good depiction of size b

I know this isn’t a great depiction of size but here is our set up. We are in South Western Pennsylvania. Our winters are not horrible but we do get a decent amount of snow and cold weather.

Attachments

• 51EFF9E9-411E-4A12-9748-8CE8B55868AA.png
    51EFF9E9-411E-4A12-9748-8CE8B55868AA.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
I would just try moving her after dark. Just slip her into the bigger coop, with the others. Then just shut the little coop up. She should go with the others after that, but might need a bit of encouragement for a couple of nights. Chickens are very habitual.

As for the barebacks, they bother people way more than they bother chickens. If they are approaching their first molt, they often look like rag pickers. The feathers are old, and worn. Once they get rid of them, and the new ones grow in, they will be beautiful again.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom