It will all depend on the feather wearing. You are in Texas so missing feathers isn't as bad this time of year, but generally it will get worse as we approach spring. Hormones will surge and production and mating will increase. Your hens will remain bareback until next fall if it reaches that point.

I personally would make a pen where you can remove the rooster for a while but he's still next to or in the coop so he can still interact. Young roosters can be vigorous in their mating. I generally see some feather wearing in my hens over the summer months. You will have to watch for rips or sores on the skin if it becomes exposed. Keeping the roosters nails and spurs trimmed can help minimize damage.

It's your choice on what to do with him. He will slow down a bit as he matures but that generally takes 2 years, so I always like giving my hens a break from any rooster that is too much.
Thanks so much. I have a area I should be able to easily enclose for him...

Not sure what is and isn't normal, but my 2 yr old EE is molting. It's been brutally cold here especially for December, she's doing well.
There are many recent threads asking the same question - I'm beginning to think it is not unusual. Technically via the calendar, winter only started about 10 days ago. Of course weatherwise, it feels like it started ages ago. ;)
View attachment 1222500
Thank you so much for commenting and including pictures, makes me feel so much better indeed!

This is the first year in 25 that I can remember young birds molting. My 13 are 9 months old & two (1EE & 1 Austarlorp) have been molting for the last several weeks. Since Thanksgiving I am down from 10 eggs a day to 4-6.
So I am not alone then and that is a huge comfort. Thank you!

One of mine did a really hard molt the beginning of December, she also developed Egg Peritonitis a week later and ultimately died from internal bleeding. Was just completely tragic and heart breaking.

So sorry for your loss! My 9 mo. old BO started a molt this past month and went from beautiful and fluffy to sad and bedraggled in just a couple of weeks. Temps overnight in negative 20's. I caved and brought her into the garage. Will take her back at the end of the week when temps are supposed to be slightly below/above zero. Hope there isn't too much of a re-introduction kerfuffle.

It will all depend on the feather wearing. You are in Texas so missing feathers isn't as bad this time of year, but generally it will get worse as we approach spring. Hormones will surge and production and mating will increase. Your hens will remain bareback until next fall if it reaches that point.

I personally would make a pen where you can remove the rooster for a while but he's still next to or in the coop so he can still interact. Young roosters can be vigorous in their mating. I generally see some feather wearing in my hens over the summer months. You will have to watch for rips or sores on the skin if it becomes exposed. Keeping the roosters nails and spurs trimmed can help minimize damage.

It's your choice on what to do with him. He will slow down a bit as he matures but that generally takes 2 years, so I always like giving my hens a break from any rooster that is too much.

Okay, I separated the rooster on Monday. The easter egger had dropped down to about 1 egg every 6-7 days (normal was 2 days on 1 day off). She has not laid in over a week. Should I worry there is something else wrong or will it take some time for her to get back to normal?

Okay, I separated the rooster on Monday. The easter egger had dropped down to about 1 egg every 6-7 days (normal was 2 days on 1 day off). She has not laid in over a week. Should I worry there is something else wrong or will it take some time for her to get back to normal?
When you remove a rooster, even if it's for the best it can be a bit stressful. Instincts tell them a missing bird means a predator may be around, at least that's I believe is the reason.

The drop in production could have been caused by removing the rooster or it could have been a coincident. Easter eggers will often stop and start throughout the season. If it was caused by the rooster removal production should pick up in a week or two, if it's a break it could be longer.

My birds are 11 months old and molted starting back in November! They have also stopped laying for the wintertime. 3 Easter Eggers and 1 Welsummer. I was concerned because they started dropping feathers like crazy (looked like murder happened in their coop!) and then stopped laying, but once all 4 of them went through it, I figured it was just the way it goes! (They were laying lots before the molt and now I've had to buy eggs twice!)
As long as they're still eating, clucking around and generally acting fine, I would say not to worry and see what happens come spring. That's my plan of action anyway. :)

Hello!

I have a 9 month old Easter Egger. She is my matriarch of our now only 2 chicken flock :( (for now!). I have noticed over the past few days feathers in the bottom of the coop, and today could see feathers just dropping off her as she went about her business. I suspect she is molting as I have thoroughly checked over her body... no mites, no lice, etc. She is my healthiest gal, and she runs the show... so I do not suspect that the other chicken who is extremely docile to be picking out her feathers. Soooo.... is molting in the first year, and molting in December normal or okay? Should I worry?

Thanks!
Got the same problem with my EE.. However, her appetite has went down and shes a little over two. She was the queen b, too. I had to clean nesting box full of her feathers. I brought her in my garage with a heater by it to watch her more closely

Back
Top Bottom