Winter nutrition?

Thompsonv

Chirping
Jun 15, 2016
Kenduskeag, Maine
Hi everyone, as we all know it's winter time and I'm kinda concerned with this being my ducks first winter and all. They have been doing well, but they have been spending a good part of this winter in our shop on a nice bed of hay. They get their pellet crumble food which they haven't' eaten much of and they are also getting cracked corn which I was told will help keep the fat on an digests slower but it seems like they are only eating the cracked corn. Their poop is really watery like almost all water and I feel like it shouldn't be. Is there something I am suppose to be giving them as a supplement in the winter or less cracked corn? We've also had a few days off n on in the 40's and I put them in the tub for a short period of time once a week/every other week so they can bath and I make sure the water is still pretty cold so as not to give them a temperature shock. I'd be wiling for any information to care for them in the winter, Clint and Crackers are my babies and I'd be devastated if something happened due to my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Hello....
This is what I feed my Ducks.....They eat it.....Duck finisher, oat and barley crumble and old style scratch grain, it has way less corn....As a treat they get dry cat food.....i also feed tomatoes, romain lettuce, peas, cucumbers, broccoli, cooked apple....and scrambled eggs once a week....

You have gotten great advise.....I just wanted to share what I feed my Ducks......

Cheers!

It's tough dealing with that fluffy snow. Ours has gotten enough of a crust that the birds can walk on top now. Some of the ducks realized today that they could reach the porch by climbing up a snow bank! There's four steps up to the porch and they can't get up there normally. Hopefully your snow gets better so Clint and Crackers can get out and about!

Hi everyone, as we all know it's winter time and I'm kinda concerned with this being my ducks first winter and all. They have been doing well, but they have been spending a good part of this winter in our shop on a nice bed of hay. They get their pellet crumble food which they haven't' eaten much of and they are also getting cracked corn which I was told will help keep the fat on an digests slower but it seems like they are only eating the cracked corn. Their poop is really watery like almost all water and I feel like it shouldn't be. Is there something I am suppose to be giving them as a supplement in the winter or less cracked corn? We've also had a few days off n on in the 40's and I put them in the tub for a short period of time once a week/every other week so they can bath and I make sure the water is still pretty cold so as not to give them a temperature shock. I'd be wiling for any information to care for them in the winter, Clint and Crackers are my babies and I'd be devastated if something happened due to my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Cute photo of Clint and Crackers!

I'd start by cutting back on the cracked corn - it's suitable as a periodic treat in the winter, but if they're not eating their complete feed, they're not getting enough protein and other components of a balanced diet that the pelleted food should provide. Since my ducks free range during daylight hours, I supplement their protein in the winter by adding a small amount of distiller's grains to a base of fermented chick starter (21% protein). They also get black oil sunflower seeds tossed out, occasionally as a treat, for them to pick up. This helps offset the lack of bugs and other sources of protein available to them in the pastures at other times of the year. Clint and Crackers look old enough that angel wing shouldn't be a concern at this point, so boosting protein should be fine for them.

Some probiotics may also be beneficial, like a splash of raw ACV in their water (in a non-metal container). Greens are also difficult for them to find in the winter, so floating some finely-chopped kale or similar greens in their water should get them eating it - and it's very entertaining to watch.
smile.png

Here's a thread you may find helpful on winter feeding: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1075640/winter-duck-feeding. Best to you and your ducks!

@Miss Lydia , @Amiga

Hmmm I may try the fermenting thing. We have many local brewers so that shouldn't be an issue to find I wouldn't think.What kind of cat food do you recommend feeding them? I've tried scrambled eggs in the past and they completely turned their noses up to it perhaps their tastes have changed lol. And that makes me very happy to hear that about the peas, regardless I will be going to the local grain store tomorrow since they are closed on Sundays and I'll look into the fermenting thing, I just want Clint and Crackers to be healthy happy duckies! Thanks so much again!
The only cat food I've fed to date (and not much) is the same brand my cats eat - Earthborn Holistic kibble. I think others may feed canned cat food. I would look for quality ingredients in the formulation.

There are lots of approaches to providing a healthy diet for ducks. Another option is to get a waterfowl-specific feed, like ones made by Mazuri or Southern States. I fed the Southern States floating feed to a group of ducklings and they loved it. Of course, it did smell like cinnamon rolls (to me).
1f601.png

Cinnamon rolls yum!
@Thompsonv
Fermenting your feed has many healthful benefits for our birds.

To my fermented feed along with the mixture of Layer/ broiler I add wheat berries/ oats/ lentils. and mix this concoction with hot water and ACV this will sit over night and look like corn bread before putting in the oven. My flock love it. Mine get a mixture of whole corn/cracked corn and meal worms in the afternoon as a treat.

Since your female is getting to laying age you def want to make sure she is getting adequate calcium so Oyster shell should be offered separate from feed for her your drake may taste it once but they don't eat it. One reason I mix my layer with the other ingredients I have many rooster/and a gander and drake added to my flock so i don't feed straight layer. Then my layers get the oyster shell plus calcium citrate 2X a week to help with their calcium needs.

Mine love dog kibble also as a treat I buy Sams club grain free salmon and peas my drake comes in every morning for his 4th cup of dog kibble.Yes he is spoiled. lol

Great info everyone!!

@FoodFreedomNow

@chickens really

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone this information is unbelievably helpful! I love hearing what people do for their ducks/pets it makes me so happy to hear of all these animals getting taken care of so well and perhaps a bit spoiled :) I'm going to do some research on the fermenting feed as it seems like a really healthy way to go and I'll also start Crackers on some crushed oyster shells since she's about that age. I'll be going to our grain store tomorrow so I'll be looking through these forums and try to figure out exactly what it is I will need to purchase for that kind of feed. Hopefully Clint and Crackers like this change but even if they don't they'll have to adapt.

Back
Top Bottom