Winter prep

An American University, I think Penn State, experimented with a stock of bales (straw or hay) for sheep. The sheep piled onto the protected side, then a few fewer a step away, and a fewer still and so on until there were like 3 at the end. Imagine a triangle with the longest side up against the bales, then trickling down to the point. This showed them pretty much how the wind was shielded on the non windy side, but less and less so until it offered no protection. This might be the study you are thinking of.

I have always used plastic sheeting to keep out the wind during our cold winters, but I recently heard from locals that this isnt necessary. It has always worked well for me but is a decent amount of work to set op, obtain and take down. should I put the sheeting up this year? Also, on a side note, I know that heat lamps are known to cause fires in coops, but I have done it with no issue as apparently it is at a "fire proof" angle. (also according to the locals) can I keep it up for the winter? And does it effect my girls sleep patterns at all???
Thanks!
No heat lamp. A draft free coop is all they need!

Back
Top Bottom