Winter prep

Nov 18, 2023
I have always used plastic sheeting to keep out the wind during our cold winters, but I recently heard from locals that this isnt necessary. It has always worked well for me but is a decent amount of work to set op, obtain and take down. should I put the sheeting up this year? Also, on a side note, I know that heat lamps are known to cause fires in coops, but I have done it with no issue as apparently it is at a "fire proof" angle. (also according to the locals) can I keep it up for the winter? And does it effect my girls sleep patterns at all???
Thanks!

What is your state? Your climate?
Blocking wind is a great idea, dome use hay bales though you don't need to go all the way up.
Heat lamps are not necessary unless you live where it's below zero during the day as they cause more problems than they solve such as: fire, sleep pattern issues, compounding frostbite, not encouraging chickens to leave their coop and getting respiratory issues and thermo shock in the event of power outage.

thanks for the heat lamp info!!! I live upstate Ny, and sometimes it is below 0 during the day, but just not currently. The hay bales idea is genius!

Hay or straw are not going to provide much protection and can mold and/or harbor rodents.
A solid wall of hay bales or straw bales would be a fairly good windblock.
But it would probably take more time and effort than putting up plastic, so the plastic is probably a better choice.

(If someone has bales that need storing anyway, it might make sense to stack them along the downwind side of the run. But I probably would not buy hay or straw bales just for the sake of using them as a windblock.)

I was thinking of single bales on the ground, which I've seen used here before, never seen anyone build a wall of bales in a run.
I'm sure I've seen someone, somewhere recommend a wall of hay bales as a windbreak for the winter. I think the idea was to pile them outside the fence, so they couldn't fall inward onto the animals. But it could easily have been for some other species, in some book published decades ago. I tend to forget which things I read where :)

Back
Top Bottom