Winter pullets: When will they start laying eggs?

around the pond

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2021
Our pullets are now 22 weeks old. They're a mix of Dominiques, Star Spangled Hamburgs, Cuckoo Marans, and Columbian and Silver Laced Wyandottes.

We're in MA, so daylight is still short, and we don't provide artificial lighting. They're in a run in a big barn with access all day to free range - but on cold (which is most) days, they seem to prefer to stay inside.

My question: When might these birds start laying? Given that they will be entering sexual maturity in the middle of winter, should I expect they won't lay for a couple of months more?

Also, my older hens, who have a separate coop away from the barn, have slowed down dramatically in terms of laying. (I don't mind, just curious here.) Does that mean they'll be even more productive in the spring?

We're still in our first year of living with chickens, so still learning everything. This site has been a godsend! Thanks, all.

Also, my older hens, who have a separate coop away from the barn, have slowed down dramatically in terms of laying. (I don't mind, just curious here.) Does that mean they'll be even more productive in the spring?
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?

We're in MA
Welcome to BYC! @around the pond
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1610372749795.png

Our pullets are now 22 weeks old. They're a mix of Dominiques, Star Spangled Hamburgs, Cuckoo Marans, and Columbian and Silver Laced Wyandottes.

We're in MA, so daylight is still short, and we don't provide artificial lighting. They're in a run in a big barn with access all day to free range - but on cold (which is most) days, they seem to prefer to stay inside.

My question: When might these birds start laying? Given that they will be entering sexual maturity in the middle of winter, should I expect they won't lay for a couple of months more?

We're still in our first year of living with chickens, so still learning everything. This site has been a godsend! Thanks, all.
We've gained about 15 mins since the winter solstice. They may or may not start laying soon. I have birds that lay through the molt and all winter long. Mostly my WLH but my RIR laid yesterday. So they are starting back up now I don't expect lots of eggs just yet. I have 12 hens. My SLW laid at 20 weeks in Dec when I first got them in '18. They will lay when they are ready. Notice the egg song or squatting. Those are both signs. I have some persistent singers and I have to tell them OK lay your egg. Some times they drive me crazy when I am working in the coop. Prancing back and forth signing loudly trying to decide which nest box they want to use. LOL. good luck

Thank you, Winding Road. Think I'll hang out in the barn a bit more over the next few days to get a better sense of things. Not feeling stressed about anything in terms of timing, just trying to understand what's happening.

This site is soooooo appreciated for all the folks who share their knowledge in such a friendly way.

I have 21 Golden Comets that hatched July 15th and they started to lay December 8th, now I am getting 16 or 17 good size eggs a day, my 16 month old Easter egger has resumed laying for a week now, i live in Rhode Island so we have around the same weather, I hope this info helps and you get eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom