Winter questions

Hello chicken friends!

This is my first winter with my chickens and I have a few questions. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with me and helping me keep my chickens safe this winter!

1. I have 2 barred rocks and 1 Easter egger..I let them free range and was wondering how cold is too cold for this? When should I keep them in their tiny coop and run?

2. I have put plastic over all the run and I've been laying straw down having it go up the tiny coops walls and a little up the walls of the run.. What else can I do to help keep them warm as their Coop is so tiny and we're already heading into the low 20s tonight 🥶

Thanks again!

View attachment 3294183
Winter is coming! It's good to let them acclimate. They don't want to go out in the snow so unless you shovel paths for them they'll just stay in by nature. The biggest thing to worry about is frostbite and stretches of 10 degrees or lower. I would say let them free range as long as no predators are around and no snow.

to clarify they can definitely go out it the snow but might not want to. just try to eliminate drafts in the coop and also keeo it ventilated. But no reason they can't free range year round. Mine have gotten stuck in the snow before and frostbitten combs so key a close eye on them and keep a clean dry coop. Good luck!

Hi, I live in West Virginia. This is my first fall and winter with chickens. How can I keep them warm?
For the most part you don't. Their feathers provide very nice insulation. What you do want to do is:
1) Protect them from direct winds and precipitation.
2) Make sure they have access to water.

In my case I have a covered coop & run and I add plastic on the windward side and use a heated waterer.

For the most part you don't. Their feathers provide very nice insulation. What you do want to do is:
1) Protect them from direct winds and precipitation.
2) Make sure they have access to water.

In my case I have a covered coop & run and I add plastic on the windward side and use a heated waterer.
Ok thank you so much, for all the tips!

Thank you for your quick replies! I live in central IN and I will take pics of their Coop and run when the sun is out in an hour or so 😊
Hello chicken friends!

This is my first winter with my chickens and I have a few questions. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with me and helping me keep my chickens safe this winter!

1. I have 2 barred rocks and 1 Easter egger..I let them free range and was wondering how cold is too cold for this? When should I keep them in their tiny coop and run?

2. I have put plastic over all the run and I've been laying straw down having it go up the tiny coops walls and a little up the walls of the run.. What else can I do to help keep them warm as their Coop is so tiny and we're already heading into the low 20s tonight 🥶

Thanks again!

View attachment 3294183
I have to keep mine in the barn again this winter. It’s a good barn, with insulation and metal siding. That makes a good element protection. It’s not deep winter yet at 10-15° in northern SD, the barn stays a balmy 20°. Most the chickens are cold weather breeds. I blocked off a stall and put up a low watt red light for some fall scraggly girls molting and bantam breeds—Barbu d’Ucclé, & Silkie—AND a broody hen hatched a chick, so they were in there too. The Silkies DO like going outside, especially my one oldest Roo, he stays out almost all day scratching around.

Pretty much, give them access outside and they will go back and forth. You don’t need a heat lamp, not really…I’m just paranoid about my old girl—a Barbu d’Ucclé🥰
B996A6A4-25F2-4CB0-A814-F0EA2AD4FAC6.jpeg E5A59F3A-C6F8-48E2-8F8A-709F49C9BDA3.jpeg C4BDFE84-B667-4714-84CB-0C11F9AD2A1F.jpeg FC93FF6F-ECFB-4F0B-8F8B-D5098B62D5FD.jpeg 72F31EAE-A041-489C-954A-297ADC964373.jpeg 926BF4B0-1F7A-49A1-9696-22DD1363E10D.jpeg
EEE4FEE9-CFE8-4858-8CD8-F2E5FB284CF4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom