Winter requirements for Geese

Wolfwoman

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Chickaloon, Alaska
How do they stand the cold? Can they be allowed to roam around in the snow, or do they need a covered shelter?

My plans for them for the winter didn't work out and so I'm needing more info.... anything is appreciated.

Mine are out during the day - most days. Keep in mind we just had one of the worst winters on record here in Nebraska. I did keep them in the barn in their stalls on the worst days with horribly cold wind chills. I lock everything up at night in the barn in box stalls - year around. I keep 5 gallon electric buckets plugged in all winter for them. They do spend time in the snow and don't seem to mind it at all.

We can sustain temps of 30-40 below for weeks here... and the wind NEVER stops, it's just part of where we are... Does breed matter? Mine are a Toulouse/African cross.

They need shelter in those temps, and it better be big and heated too, because they aren't going outside for days at a time in that weather.

I think we've figured it out. They are going to go in the covered dog pen, the 2 dogs that were in there are going in another pen... It will be covered and sheltered from the wind, but it won't be heated. I have a friend that has 8 geese and she keeps hers in a HUGE pen where she used to have goats, and they just have a small barn shelter with hay that they can go in. Otherwise they can go in and out as they please. She's had them thru 5 winters now with no heat... so I'm thinking of a leanto in the corner (dog house is basically what it will be) with lots of hay. The pen is 10x15 and will be covered on 3 sides.

Domestic farm animals will do just fine with protection from wind and wet.
If you have a lot of wet weather you don't want them getting soaked to the skin.
Very important is providing fresh water and food daily and add some cracked
or whole corn to their diet for extra energy.
Make sure to look for bullys that might be preventing some of the timid
ones from eating.
I had a customer that lost 3 Sebastopols during the winter due to her
more aggressive Africans not letting them eat and drink enough.
The water doesn't need be heated unless its for your convenience.
I give water straight from the well even during winter months and my geese are provided
with bathing water a few times a week. They'll go right in it, ice chunks and all.

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom