Winter solved! **Updated**

mem79,

I don't know who "that one person" is. If you are referring to me, I apologize. I do not mean to come off as hostile.

Regardless of whom you were speaking to/about, posting comments about someone's spouse may not be the best way to avoid conflict with them.

hugs.gif

Ok, on to answering your questions.

I agree that Spring would be the best time to start with chicks. Especially for newbies like you and I. I got mine at the local feed store/s in April. Sounds like you want to start with fertile eggs though, would be very neat to watch them hatch!
jumpy.gif

I opted for the chicks at the feed store as they were supposed to be sexed.
As chickenannie points out though, some Roos still slip through, I did not know this happens, so imagine the surprise as my Wife and I stood there puzzled for like 15-30 mins trying to figure out why our Hen was being so noisy, sounding like it was crowing, well eventually it did strike us, if it sounds like a Roo and acts like a Roo...

If you do want to hatch them and are concerned about getting attached to the Roo's you might consider getting an autosexing breed(http://www.autosexing.co.uk/) so that you will know right away who your girls and boys are.

An option I did not really know about, if you want to be sure about not getting any Roosters, is to buy some "point of lay pullets". I found one here on the BYC when I needed to replace my Roo. Of course this option is likely the least educational.

For the table size before it crows, mine began crowing later than the timeline I liked to above says they start, mine was also a bantam, it was not worth the effort to get the meat off of the wings, but the rest of it, I'd say it was table size, but not a "good" table size. Though the breed would make alot of difference in this. Egg laying breeds though are not as tender. So if you do go this route I would suggest a pressure cooker and/or using it as more of a soup meat.

I do not know of any other options for unwanted Roos other than what chickenannie listed.

Concerning what age is the right time to do things with them there is a really nice "Timeline of a Chicken" on this site that I found VERY useful: http://allaboutchickens.tk/
Actually
I found BYC a bit overwhelming when I was first starting and found that site to be a good beginners guide.
Later I discovered that the site is maintained by a BYC member.
cool.png

Besides sharing the eggs, another option I did not realize you could do is scramble them and feed them back to the Chickens. I've also heard from more then one source you can crush the egg shells and feed them back to them to help them get their needed calcium.

For winter heating, while it varies depending on the breed you have and the harshness of your winters, the consensus seems to be that heating the water somehow to keep it from freezing(you can buy poultry waters that plug in, someone mentioned using those coffee cup warmers - that sounded like a good way to do it on the cheap, some just use a heated dog bowl, etc) is the most important.

Other common suggestions I've seen are a panel heater, a nest box heater, or a light bulb.

Also, it is often mentioned that the coop should be well insulated while making sure there are NO drafts but be sure to keep it well ventilated. Honestly it's probably this gem of info that has me considering housing them in the basement all winter. How does one keep a coop well ventilated yet avoid any drafts?
hu.gif

For more typical threads about Winter with Chickens I found these two quite informative:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=79799

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=71542

*The first one basically ends at a link to the second one.

I hav e a hen sitting right now on 4 eggs . They " SHOULD " hatch in about 8 days . So , being we are still in Aug. by the time the weather here turns COOL or COLD , they will be 10 - 12 weeks old . Which I think I timed this pretty good .

Last edited:
EliteTempleton,

Thank you for all that info. i think you answered just about everything. No, you were not the one that sounded a little "over the top". I agree about the spouse comment, though that was in response to what the person said about ...if you want to keep your spouse...

At any rate, thats not what I'm on here for...

We are going with Plymouth Barred Rocks. Seen several other posts on websites that I could not manage to navigate, but did learn that many people right around me had great success with them for our seasons. Plus, they are said to be a great combo for egg & table. Still, as I am starting out small, if I see that is not the case, I'll keep them for eggs and venture into another breed. I'm assuming I can do that. This will all be a fun adventure, I'm sure! Now that I know about them, I have seen them on many farms. They are a pretty breed.

Another post says that they should be fine if they are 10-12 wks before the really cold season. I would not mind keeping them in the garage for 10-12 wks. Hopefully, their feathers would be mature enough by Jan/Feb to be outside. As soon as I know that, its a go.
If not, I will wait. There's also the consideration that I am having my third baby in late Dec, so I would need them to be more self sufficient outside by then!!!

Thanks for everyone's help. Any other info would be great, also!

I hatched a few (like 20) chicks one fall when it was getting too cool to put them outside so I overwintered them in a "round pen" in the basement. and took them outside when it was above 70. By spring they were crowded in the pen-LOL.I put down newpaper and shavings and changed them every few days.I don't want to do again, but IF I did it again I would try to do it differently. I would not have as many- ( OP has that covered) and use some kind of containment that was better like a rabbit/guinea pig cage with a bottom- and have 2 so I could rotate them.And I am thinking of doing one more hatch. I have 7 eggs that look good to hatch next week now and am looking at buying eggs one "last" time. My broodies have raised babies in the dead of winter. I have7 girls setting now. I have brooders (the rubbermaid variety ) in the living room now and dust all over- about 80 babies in all stages from 1 week to six weeks and about 20 in the garage getting "hardened off" for outside life.

I have 49 head of chickens . We also have a hen sitting on eggs right now .

So we will have eggs for our own personal use and to sell as well .

PRAYING we don't get any hurricane's thru here . GOD FORBID .

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Mem79!!! Barred Rocks are a wonderful breed - we have several and love them all. Our roo is a BR and I keep eyeing his legs LOL.

I have 22 one week old chicks in brooders in the basement and I have to clean them at least once a day and the smell is horrible. They are eating-pooping machines.

Again, I think if you only have 3 hens, clean them AT LEAST once day, and don't have the furnace circulation, then you should be ok. It'll be stinky but at least it won't be circulated throughout your house. But prepare for the dust.

Quote:
it's going to make more (and darker) dust, but i highly recommend peat moss as a bedding for indoor poultry. i've been using it in my brooder at a depth of a few inches and i've been cleaning it once weekly with no chicken-y odor at all. i don't really need to clean it even as often as i do, i just don't like the look of the dried poos on the surface. of course, it makes black, black dust, so that could be a consideration, but i'd rather have black dust than stinky birds.

Last edited:
Pine shavings are great, and they keep the poop dry, but it doesn't cover up the odor. I just moved my 4 hens outside yesterday. They are 13 weeks old (BO's) and were living in a large dog crate in my office while we scrambled to finish their coop. I used DE to help with odor and moisture control, and while it did a wonderful job at reducing the smell, it created exponentially more dust. That dust is covering every surface of my entire lower level - AND - I cleaned every day. I live in a cold region as well (MN), and I'm a HUGE softie, but I wouldn't ever consider keeping the hens inside over the winter. Besides, these are living creatures and they need fresh air and sunshine, even if it involves cold temps and snow.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom