Winter swimming.

It definitely depends on your climate and setup for sure!
i don’t have water out for bathing in the winter for my guys, it’s too cold and the water freezes too fast. I struggle enough with keeping a heated, insulated stock tank thawed for the cattle to drink so it’s not worth fighting with a pool for the ducks. Lol. They get larger rubber or plastic tubs filled up on nice sunny days periodically throughout the winter, and then I dump them as soon as everyone has had a chance to clean up. So they probably get a bath day every couple of weeks or so. They of course also have the deep container to dunk their heads in, with a bucket heater to keep it thawed, because it’s a small enough amount that the heater can actually do so.

I allow my ducks to swim outside in the winter, even on days when we get well below freezing. I have one duck who has poor feather quality, so she doesn't get to, but the other ones who are waterproof do. After they hop out of the ice water, where they were enjoying themselves for quite a while, they wipe water off their feathers with their bills and are perfectly dry. Then they want to go foraging while I'm shivering and can hardly tolerate to be outside. Even though I'm all bundled up, drinking hot tea, and wearing a heated vest.

If my ducks' feet get cold when they are out of the water they tuck them into their feathers or go into the barn, where they have thick layers of straw.

My ducks are my very much adored precious pets, and I tend to coddle them. Yet the only one I'm worried about in the cold is the one who isn't waterproof. She has to come inside for baths, and stay inside when it is cold - per avian vet instructions. The other ones are fine. They are fully feathered healthy waterproof adults.
thank you for your reply. i too have a habit of babying my girls. definitely want whats best for them and to keep them as happy and healthy as possible. they have a kiddie pool they basically live in in the warmer months but nothing for the winter. they dont even really like to be out as much, i try to bring them out but they just go back in to their coop where its warm and comfy.

It definitely depends on your climate and setup for sure!
i don’t have water out for bathing in the winter for my guys, it’s too cold and the water freezes too fast. I struggle enough with keeping a heated, insulated stock tank thawed for the cattle to drink so it’s not worth fighting with a pool for the ducks. Lol. They get larger rubber or plastic tubs filled up on nice sunny days periodically throughout the winter, and then I dump them as soon as everyone has had a chance to clean up. So they probably get a bath day every couple of weeks or so. They of course also have the deep container to dunk their heads in, with a bucket heater to keep it thawed, because it’s a small enough amount that the heater can actually do so.
hi, yes i to have a deep heated water bowel they can dunk their beaks in. I like the idea of a large rubber tub so i think i will pick one up so they can have a bit of a bath.:)

thank you for your reply. i too have a habit of babying my girls. definitely want whats best for them and to keep them as happy and healthy as possible. they have a kiddie pool they basically live in in the warmer months but nothing for the winter. they dont even really like to be out as much, i try to bring them out but they just go back in to their coop where its warm and comfy.
Wow! In that situation I would probably follow their lead! I'm sure they know if they are cold, right?

I use a cement mixing bowl from Lowe’s for winter bathing. It is easy to fill using a bucket, and they get a good bath.
78AD0E91-72B8-4D28-9F00-C132934F4B76.jpeg
BEF36D0D-3230-4CF0-8A84-DECA8C60F25D.jpeg
AE5FA06F-9B43-46EE-A971-3E5698FE44CB.jpeg
I don’t let them bathe on the worst days, but I don’t have a strict cut-off. They get to bathe most days of the week. I feel it is important to maintain their feather quality and overall health. Plus, they love it!

Edited to add- my three take a break from laying from October until late March or early April. I think their bodies appreciate the rest! I doubt your ducks will take as long of a break. My Rouen is aging (5 years), and my other two are Muscovy hens who aren’t known for laying tons of eggs.

We don't provide bathing water in the winter (we do in their fenced pasture in the summer), but they almost always get the option of free-ranging for an hour or so both morning and evening. They usually head straight for the water!

Eggs are few and far between right now, but they should pick-up again soon!

We do have one girl with not great feathers/waterproofing. Her name is Martha, and she is the little duck to the right of our white silver Appleyard and behind our drake at 1:50 in the video above (she swims to the right after they jump in). She loves the water, although she will go back to the duckhouse if she gets cold.

Back
Top Bottom