Winter temperature for chicken, duck and geese

Riscy

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Hi

I'm from Bulgaria (recently relocated from UK), I have 4 room small barn, one for chicken (about 6), one for duck (about 4) and one for geese (about 6). The 4th room is for Goat (two).

My concern that winter is approaching and it can get below freezing during Jan. The Barn is well constructed with 2 meter deep roof containing dry hays (provide some insulation). The wall is wooden ply-board and has no insulation.

What is the minimum temperature for above to survive when outdoor temperature drops. At worst case, outdoor temperature can drop -15degC for few days.

What kind of heater need to be fitted, is light blub sufficient to provide light and heating needs. Do they need to go out even while the soil surface is snowed and iced?

Is there EU standard relating to care of above animal?

All the best wishes

Riscy

Hi and Welcome to BYC!

I only have chickens so that's all I can talk about. Chickens do very well in very cold temperatures as long as they are in a ventilated but draft free enclosed coop area. I can have -15C or lower temps here for a couple of weeks during the winter and my chickens had no problems last year with those temps.

Some chickens are known as cold hardy breeds, that would make a difference also. If your chickens have tall combs you can coat them with Vaseline to keep them from freezing. I never did that with mine and they were fine. But again, I have a very well put together coop with no drafts and no moisture.

Moisture is another problem for chickens. You don't want condensation on the walls or ceiling of the coop.

Thank, it very useful to know. I leave 100W light blubs for each room and drill some holes for vents.

All the best wishes.

Riscy

Back
Top Bottom