Winter Temps suitable for Silkies and Sultans

Kat's Silly Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
South Central Texas
I was wondering what are the coldest temperatures that Silkies and Sultans can handle. We normally don't get below the 30's but after last winter we are concerned that even the 30's could be to cold.

We have a total of 5-5 wk old chics (hopefully hens) 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks, 2 Partridge Cochins, 1 Sultans so far, and in a week will be adding 2 Silkie and another Sultan .
We will be raising the 3 new babies on the sun porch where the 5 are at the moment. The 5 will be ready to go out to the coop soon and colder weather is on it's way.
We chicken wire sectioned off our old horse barn/trailer shelter. The area is 6'Wx12'Lx8'H inside and 6'Wx12'Lx6'H outside chicken wired all around.
My question is how to enclose the inside to make it mostly draft/cold free... We were thinking using plywood walls there that can be removed in the summer for better ventilation.
And we saw a kerosene barn heater at TSC can that be used to keep the inside of animal barns warm during the coldest days, but is it safe with chickens?
Any Ideas!!!

Thank you for the assist,
hit.gif
I found winter hardy info with Google Search.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom