Winter ventilation

NancyA

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2018
Ontario,Canada
Just wondering if windows I have in my coop can b left open in winter for ventilation or is that too low?
Does ventilation have to be higher at ceiling level?
Our winters in Northern Ontario Canada get very cold -30

It depends a lot on the coop. If the roosts are in a fairly airtight cul-de-sac so all strong air movement is kept away from them even in a storm you could be OK. The Woods Coop was designed like that and is especially for cold climates like Canada. But it depends on the air flow patterns.

Keep the wind off'em and they'll be fine. So long as the open window does not allow direct wind to blow on the roost that should be good. But do the math on ventilation and make sure you have what you need. And you will need more than you think, or at least I did.
Ventilation = 1sq.ft/chicken

IMG_20180604_171309_060.jpg
I am new to raising chickens. We are getting ready for winter and are wondering what to do for ventilation. My husband is thinking of cutting a round circle in coop and putting a PVC pipe with spout down so wind can't blow in. We currently have 6 birds. Would that be enough? They roost up high ....should vent be low?

Just wondering if windows I have in my coop can b left open in winter for ventilation or is that too low?
Does ventilation have to be higher at ceiling level?
Our winters in Northern Ontario Canada get very cold -30
Post some pics of your coop, inside and out, if you want some specific suggestions.
Also knowing how many birds you have might help.

Most winter ventilation you want up above the birds heads as far as possible.
Here's pretty good discussion about ventilation that might help:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

Why don't you move your roosts down? Mine roosts are at about 20 inches from the floor. Vents are up at 5 feet above floor. By moving the roosts down you can have lots of ventilation up high. Suggested ventilation is about 1 square foot per bird.

Back
Top Bottom