Winter vs. Summer Rearing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rodriguezpoultry, Sep 8, 2009.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I have heard some people claim that hatching in the winter and growing up in the winter stunts growth. I have also heard that growing in the summer allows for more light which helps the chicks growth.

Both sound plausible, but I have had excellent luck both ways. Thanks to LOVELY predation this year, I keep feeding whatever it is that's killing my birds. So JUST when I think "hey, I can start culling for breeders" guess what's killed...

Anyway, I'm debating just setting and hatching all through the winter or at least until my breeders stop laying this year.

When do YOU stop hatching for the year?

Posing this for exhibition breeders specifically, but anyone is more than welcome to reply!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've heard varying opinions just as you have, but I haven't found them to be true. I've hatched in winter, raised up in my basement with only the natural light from small windows (and a light bulb over the brooder cage), and growth was not stunted; in fact, some of my largest Jerseys were raised up in the winter in my basement.

For me, it's a huge chore raising them up in winter, so I've decided not to do it this year. But I will say, it's nice having them lay in early spring when you raise them in winter.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have often thought of this and think...hey if I can raise little ones over the winter and they are small enough where they don't need to be in a big hen house yet that would be good. They don't like going outside in the snow their first year anyhow and then by spring I can already have good layers [​IMG] Just my thought. I'm thinking of trying it myself. I already have a bunch in the bator [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by