Winter Water Heated Base Question

My waterers are in the coop out of the wind; doors are opened in the daytime, but face east so usually ok. 0F again tonight already. Glad it's not winter yet... I have also used a heated dog bowl, but this year the barn cat has ours, because I'm concerned about some young (and dumb) bantams getting into it in the coop. Mary

I have the exact setup in my coop for my girls as in the picture. This is the second winter with the heated base so it's not an older styler one. We have had -32'C (yes, friggin cold) this winter and no ice issues. The waterer is inside the coop and at that temperature they are locked in so wind the wind isn't hitting it, but still....I would think you're having a base functionability issue. That being said, I can't see what brand yours is, and can't remember what mine is, but I would imagine they should be pretty similar.

Last winter it got -40 for three days here, and I had a layer of ice on teh top of the water aprox 3/4 inch thick, but that was only when the waterer ws full. As it got closer to the base it wasn't an issue.

Last edited:
Hi there, I live up in Wisconsin, and have a small coop with about 10 chickens. I purchased a plastic heated dog bowl that I plug in and it works fine. Not sure if they come in different sized but it holds about a gallon.

Back
Top Bottom