Winter water...

I live in NW Montana. Temperatures in the -20s are not unusual. I'm also 71 years old and afraid of falling in the icy snow and not being able to get up. This means I needed a system where I do not have to go out when the weather is especially nasty. My water system is a 14 gallon tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer. The deicer has a thermostat so the water stays thawed but not warm. This can keep the birds watered for over a week at a time. We've had temperatures as low as -26 and my birds still had thawed water.

I would love to see a picture of your ice buckets. Do the chickens just drink out of the top?
Yes, they drink out of the top.

It is just behind the willow branches, inside the screen door that divides the chickens' space from the storage space.

This picture was taken last Feb, I think. It might have been January or March. You can see the snow on the windows.

Attachments

• 97DE6203-4341-4B88-B26C-4BCF0B2ED206.jpeg
    97DE6203-4341-4B88-B26C-4BCF0B2ED206.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I think I am going to go with the birdbath thawer thing. I can drop that in the bucket from the top, put the anti-perch pyramid back on and keep using the bucket I already have. Seems like no matter what, I am going to have to run electric out there. Hopefully soon, we can get electricity run to our polebarn (the coop is right next to it) and it won't be such a big deal. We do have outside outlets, so we will just need to make sure they stay winterized or whatever and use those to run an extension cord.

In other news, we got our first egg on Sunday! (and another one today that's bluer, so I am guessing two of my girls are officially hens)

Attachments

• signal-2022-09-06-110518.jpeg
    signal-2022-09-06-110518.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 22
  • signal-2022-09-06-110535.jpeg
    signal-2022-09-06-110535.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 41
I live in SW Pennsylvania, it can get pretty cold here. I have a 5 gallon plastic bucket with cup drinkers. What can I do during the winter to keep it from freezing? Would changing it out, or adding a gallon of hot water every day keep it from freezing or should I get a heater. My coop is pretty far from the house and any source of electricity.

If my only option is a heater, are there any that will work with a plastic bucket and what is the safest kind of cord I can get? All suggestions are welcome.
We have automated cold water return system. So we have a heated pump in there fir the winter. It has never frozen. You might try this.

Back
Top Bottom