Winter water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gail in MN, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ChickenCrazy8

ChickenCrazy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Canada, Ottawa
    My Coop
  2. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I dont ahve electricity to my coop and its so far from the house its not likely I'll be able to get one out there. Any ideas on how to keep the water from freezing up?

MPio13 likes this.
  3. Karen Doll

Karen Doll Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    I also use a plastic heated dog bowl. Works like a charm !!! We got ours from our local Neighbors Home and
    Gardening Supply Store. It's not expensive, and durable. Since we don't have electricity in the hen house,
    my husband plugs it into an outdoor extension cord and wraps the connection with electrical tape just
    to be safe !!

4. leesbunny

leesbunny Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Timbuctoo
    If you don't have electricity, can you run an extension cord?

5. kathychick

kathychick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    NE Cincinnati Ohio
    I have a 3 gal flat top bucket with 3 nipples on the bottom - but no set up for winter yet. I've seen the heater tape, but that may be more than I can do.

I was wondering if the cookie tin heater place on the TOP of the bucket would keep it just warm enough from freezing.

Yes I know that the cookie tin is designed to be on the BOTTOM - but the bucket has a flat top which would be a perfect place for the tin to sit.

What do you folks think?

6. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
  7. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

There are immersible water heaters that run on D batteries and not electricity. We ordered one of those and will just put it in their regular waterer. We went back and forth between that and the under-waterer tin heater (requiring electricity) and decided against the tin. I bought the tin and the bulb...plus the cord, so I will use the tin for Christmas cookies instead. lol!

You can also get the snuggle safe and use that under their waterer to keep it from freezing, but you'll have to go outside, grab it, and reheat it every 3 hours in your microwave.

The battery operated heater lasts 8 hours (best option for me anyway).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  8. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Heat rises so on top of the bucket would not work very well.

Heat tapes are easy to install tape it along the pipe that or item that you want to protect and wrap a bit of insulation around it, leave the temp sensor exposed to the air.

9. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    Won't that e a lot of batteries. I would think the cost of operating for one year on batteries for 1 season would pay for equipment that would last many years on electricity and save over the long term.

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes :) it's a lot of batteries, but I don't want electricity of any kind running inside the coop -scares me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by