Winter Watering for Ducks

I give mine a heated dog watering dish that's big enough to get their heads into. There are weeks and weeks and weeks (get the idea that winter is not my favorite season?) where it's likely not going to be above freezing, so I don't use the rubber dishes, the kiddie pools or the 15-gallon stock tank in winter. Maybe I should consider it, but they've been doing okay without winter bathing ...
Thanks! I also have one of those heated dog bowls that I have for my chickens last year. Maybe I'll buy a new one and use it for them.

We are in northern Maine and have a real good place for ducks with the brook directly behind our house, where all 9 are sleeping atm. Without going into detail about our setup again, in the winter I let the ducks out into their run every day temps are over 0 F and they get a pool (old green turtle sandbox) filled up which lasts 5 or 6 hours before I bring it back in the cellar after banging the ice off it. 2 or 3 at a time they all take a bath, frolic around then preen and oil up. They stay in beautiful shape all winter but it takes a lot of time which I fortunately have.
Thanks. I'll plan out warmer days above 35 degrees when I'm home, since I have school.

Back
Top Bottom