Winter watering solution?

Beekissed

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
I think I have found the right solution for me this year with watering without buying an expensive heated waterer, or trying to rig something that may or may not work.

I am going to the nipple waterers and I'm going to use a 2 ltr. bottle for the container size. I am going to construct a wire harness or a hose strap on the wall to hold this to the appropriate height. This way, I can have bottles of water inside and warmed already each morning. Then I will take the frozen bottles inside and let them thaw out and replace their water, keep them by the back door for the next day.

We used to do this with our rabbits, and the commercial growers use metal nipples, so I'm hoping this will work. The only problem I can forsee is maybe the nipples freezing up, for which I have a back up plan. The chickens usually avail themselves of the dog's water anyway and they have a heated bucket.

Anyone else use this kind of watering system? It makes sense for the warmer months, as the water doesn't get dirty, will be easily visualized for water level and one could freeze their bottles overnight so the birds could have cold water in the summer months.

We don't use bedding in our coop, so their won't be wet bedding to think about. This past winter we didn't have too many really freezing days that didn't warm up later. Anyway, its a thought. Anyone doing this and have anything to report on it?

Hmm, never did that method but all I do is fill up rubber hog dishes and pop out the ice cube in the morning by tossing it on the floor. Fill with warm water and good to go.

I too would love to know how to keep the water from freezing here in northeast Ohio. I'm new to all this and am looking for an inexpensive solution.

Last winter we put our heat light that keeps or girls warm in the cold of winter right over the waterer and it kept it thawed for the most part when it got really cold we would have to chip the ice out and refill with warm water.

I use heated dog bowls available from tractor supply for about twenty bucks .they are well worth the money. just make sure to note the wattage,some are higher than others,mine are around 25 watts and are relatively inexspensive to operate.

I am thinking of trying something totally new this year. I am goint to take some 2x2 and make a 15" square. then I am goint to make an 8" square. I am going to then cut some plywood into sections that are going to be 13" at the bottom and taper up to 6" at the top. I think they will be about 24-36" tall
Take the plywood peices and screw them to the two frames squares top and bottom and you will end up with kid of a square lampshade looking thing with open corners. That is a bowl cover...it is to keep the water from being dirtied by the birds. they can fit thier heads in at the four corners to drink. Now for the water freezing problem, hang a light bulb from the ceiling into this "lampshade"
and it will keep the water thawed. To change the water bowl you simply lift the whole lampshade and remove the bowl to refill.
Anyway just something I thought up that I am going to try

I pretty much do what silkiechicken does, though I dont know what you'd call my black vulcanized rubber bowls. My friend Mark says he's had his for about twenty years and never needed replacements! Plus is is highly therapeutic to kick the ice out of em.

Under ten bucks at Greenfiled Farmers' Exchange, and most everywhere else.

I am thinking of trying something totally new this year. I am goint to take some 2x2 and make a 15" square. then I am goint to make an 8" square. I am going to then cut some plywood into sections that are going to be 13" at the bottom and taper up to 6" at the top. I think they will be about 24-36" tall
Take the plywood peices and screw them to the two frames squares top and bottom and you will end up with kid of a square lampshade looking thing with open corners. That is a bowl cover...it is to keep the water from being dirtied by the birds. they can fit thier heads in at the four corners to drink. Now for the water freezing problem, hang a light bulb from the ceiling into this "lampshade"
and it will keep the water thawed. To change the water bowl you simply lift the whole lampshade and remove the bowl to refill.

This sounds cool... would love to see pics of it when you are done!​

My mother in law's farm (she passed away in January) has a box constructed to house a regular light bulb. There is a hole in the top of the box where the waterer (metal fountain type) fits over it. When the light bulb is on it keeps the water thawed.

At our place we use ice cream pails. We have several sets and rotate them as they freeze up. I don't want to pay the extra electric to heat the water. The chickens get spoiled with soft water during the winter months. And it gets my kids outside several times a day for fresh air!

The rubber feed tubs work great too. Especially for the bantams. We may do that for the bantams that we have. Right now they have a fountain waterer.

Back
Top Bottom