Winter weather is on the way, water heaters in the coop?

Sep 23, 2020
Cold weather has begun here in Pennsylvania and I've already had an issue with frozen water in my coop. I'm considering a water heater but looking for suggestions from more experienced chicken owners, this is my first winter with my first flock. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. šŸ˜

I use home made five gallon horizontal nipple waterers and add this stock tank deicer in the winter (250W). Works great for us.
Screenshot_20201106-093611_Chrome.jpg

NW Montana here. Already had temperatures down to 4 degrees F. I use a tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. My new tote this year holds 13 1/2 gallons of water. Water stays clean as there is no way for dirt to get into the tote. In past winters the chickens have had thawed water even when it was in the -20s. Part I like the most is that it only needs filled once a week or so for 12 chickens. With only 5 chickens this year I only plan to have it filled once every 2 weeks or so. Have used this system for 5 years now and never had it freeze up.

By the way, if you have a covered run I would suggest you put your water out in the run. There would be less chance of moisture getting into the coop and keeping your chickens chilled. A dry chicken is a warm chicken. This means lots of ventilation. Chickens make lots of moisture as they breathe and poop. You need to vent that moist air out of the coop. I have about 10 square feet of vents that are never closed. Ventilation is up high. Roosts are down low so no breeze blows on the birds. I use this heater.

Attachments

• heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 12
I use a heated base with a 2 and a 3 gallon Fount in my well ventilated coops. 20201025_173736.jpg 20201025_172517.jpg . It has kept water thawed down to -1 Fahrenheit inside coop, the coldest since I started using it.
It's important to keep a clean contact between base and waterer. This model uses 125 watts. GC

What type of waterer do you currently use?
I use a 7 gallon waterer that sits on the floor so in the winter I plug in a water heater base that my waterer sits on.
I'm currently using a 3 gallon waterer from tractor supply, I do like the idea of the water heater base, I was just concerned about my waterer being plastic and melting, and of course fire hazards.

Cold weather has begun here in Pennsylvania and I've already had an issue with frozen water in my coop. I'm considering a water heater but looking for suggestions from more experienced chicken owners, this is my first winter with my first flock. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. šŸ˜
Iā€™m using this one for 6 pullets. It needs to be refilled every 2 or 3 days. But so far no problems.

Attachments

• 1368ACA1-0730-4AE0-9A3C-AA0E1241F07F.jpeg
    1368ACA1-0730-4AE0-9A3C-AA0E1241F07F.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom