Winter weather preparations?

HeatherKellyB

✝️ Perfectly Imperfect ✝️
May 31, 2019
Moore County, NC
I live in Central NC and so far, we've had a mostly mild winter. On Monday it was in the 60's, Tuesday, the 50's, and today was upper 40's maybe even 50, but tomorrow they've forecasted some snow for us, which will be the first snow this winter. This morning they were thinking we might get up to 1 inch, but last time I checked, they're saying 2 to 4 inches. The meteorologist believe that Friday's temps will melt most or possibly all of the accumulation. I have tomorrow morning/early afternoon to prepare. I plan on cleaning out both chicken coops and the duck house and fill everything with new pine shavings. Is there anything you would suggest I do before the snow? This is all new to me. We've had some cold temps, but it's rarely anything more than replacing water anytime it freezes. I believe the ducks will be OK as it's rare that it's cold for long enough to freeze the pond and with their fresh shavings, they'll probably be happy. Should I close the ventilation holes when the chickens go up for the night, if it's still snowing then? I've not closed them anytime we've had below freezing temps before but I just don't know what is best for winter weather. I've always LOVED LOVED LOVED winter weather but since I have these chickens and ducks now, I'm starting to prefer spring and fall, for their comfort. Thank you for any insight you can give me

When it is cold is when it is most important to keep the ventilation open. You do not trap warmth in a coop, you trap moisture, and wet chickens are cold chickens. Leave the ventilation open, go ahead and add fresh bedding, but put the old bedding in the run, make mini hay stacks with it.

Snow scares chickens when they first see it, and often won't come outside and touch that weird stuff. It you flip the haystack on top of the snow, they will be right out. Outside is good for chickens even with a little snow.

Mrs K

When it is cold is when it is most important to keep the ventilation open. You do not trap warmth in a coop, you trap moisture, and wet chickens are cold chickens. Leave the ventilation open, go ahead and add fresh bedding, but put the old bedding in the run, make mini hay stacks with it.

Snow scares chickens when they first see it, and often won't come outside and touch that weird stuff. It you flip the haystack on top of the snow, they will be right out. Outside is good for chickens even with a little snow.

Mrs K

Your reply is so helpful! Thank you.
So I could even leave whatever I clean out of the coops in a wheel barrel or something similar that I can throw a tarp over to keep the snow off of and keep a layer down to cover the snow? I'm not quite sure if it's changed but this morning they were saying it would start after dark. If that's still the case, it would mean much less work for me! Just a nice layer over any snow that drifts into one covered run and then a layer over the run that has a chain link roof. Otherwise, is it best to just keep adding layers as the snow falls or will they get accustomed to it after a while?

It really all depends on the chicken, one of my flocks loves the snow, one flock dosen't really.

I'm mostly worried about my smallest birds, silkies (I keep hearing about them not being very smart and getting out of any kind of weather) and a Starlight Green Egger (one of Hoover's birds) but she's a little girl, maybe 3.5 or 4lbs.

I took this photo when it was 4 above zero Fahrenheit many years ago. It was very calm. I left the pop door open and let them decide if they would come out. If a cold wind is blowing they won't be out, mine really hate a cold wind. But cold without wind doesn't bother them.

Ice.jpg

Again many years ago, but I took this photo when it was right around freezing. Typically when mine wake up to a white world like yours probably will mine will not go out in the stuff. It is a change and chickens generally don't like change. But usually after a couple of days some start going out in it. For this photo it started snowing during the day when they were already out. The change was gradual enough they weren't bothered. Scattering that straw might be enough to get them out, but as long as your coop is big enough it should not hurt them to stay inside if they want to. I let mine decide what they want to do.
Snow Feb 2013.JPG

You did not say how old yours are and I do not do ducks. Most chicks feather out around 4 to 5 weeks of age. After that they are pretty cold hardy.

I took this photo when it was 4 above zero Fahrenheit many years ago. It was very calm. I left the pop door open and let them decide if they would come out. If a cold wind is blowing they won't be out, mine really hate a cold wind. But cold without wind doesn't bother them.

View attachment 2031133

Again many years ago, but I took this photo when it was right around freezing. Typically when mine wake up to a white world like yours probably will mine will not go out in the stuff. It is a change and chickens generally don't like change. But usually after a couple of days some start going out in it. For this photo it started snowing during the day when they were already out. The change was gradual enough they weren't bothered. Scattering that straw might be enough to get them out, but as long as your coop is big enough it should not hurt them to stay inside if they want to. I let mine decide what they want to do.
View attachment 2031135

You did not say how old yours are and I do not do ducks. Most chicks feather out around 4 to 5 weeks of age. After that they are pretty cold hardy.
Thank you for sharing your pictures! My youngest birds are 25 weeks old (Silkie, Cochin Bantam, calico princess, Marans, and a Starlight Green Egger) and my oldest are 36 weeks old (pullets) and 40 weeks (cockerels). So everyone is feathered out.

They'll be fine.
But my daughter lives in NC......and this is apropos :gig
View attachment 2031227

To be fair, this happens in MI too.

Definitely appropriate! It's the snowpocolyse. No bread or milk on the grocery store shelves. I guess everyone is eating milk sandwiches during this 1 to 4 inches of snow

Edited to add that this does not apply to our beloved Western NC folks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom