Winter weather preparations?

Thank you for your reply. The low is lower than we've had before but just from my experience here, so many folks have no problems with their flock with much lower temps for long periods of time. My worry is how quickly it's went from 60's on Monday, to a low of 19 in the morning. A more gradual change is normal for us, but that's a huge difference in a few days
Are you new to the area? Western NC? Mountains? Welcome to the mountains! We get snow in april. Our biggest snows tend to fall in March. 2yrs ago we got a foot of snow in early April followed by 70+ degrees.

OH my! That's so cold. My bones hurt just thinking about that temp. I have mostly breeds that are cold hardy, but some of them might just hang out in the coop and hopefully my little silkies will know to get out of the cold, if it becomes too cold for them.
My gals hate the snow. If its deeper than 3-4" they usually walk in my footprints until they can reach bare ground under overhangs, porch, deck, etc.

This will be my first snow since having chickens and ducks (ducks are on the other side of property on the pond dam) but the coops remain dry during rainfall, which we've had an excessive amount of. The only time it gets wet is from me opening the side access door to check on them and that should be minimal during the snowfall if all goes according to the forecast. I believe they will be locked up in their coops/duck house before the snow begins to fall and apparently the temps won't get below anything we've seen before without problem. I wonder how often I need to be checking waterer? I have no idea how long it takes for their water to freeze. It looks like our low is going to be 19°, which we actually haven't experienced this far. We've dropped into the 20's, but not the teens.
When it’s cold outside and the water freezes in the morning, I try to break the ice when I let them out, when I come home from school, and once in The evening before they go to bed. We also have a pond with a fountain, and try to angle it so that at least one of the edges don’t freeze over. I’ve seen guineas drink out of it, and found chickens hanging out around it, so I assume they all know they can drink from it.
image.jpg

Are you new to the area? Western NC? Mountains? Welcome to the mountains! We get snow in april. Our biggest snows tend to fall in March. 2yrs ago we got a foot of snow in early April followed by 70+ degrees.

Unfortunately I'm not in our gorgeous mountains, but I'm not too far. I'm in Central NC, Moore County. The more known towns really close by are Pinehurst and Carthage. Raleigh is about 1.5 hours away from me and Fayetteville is about an hour away. I've been in NC for my entire 40 years but in Moore County since 1995. This is my first winter with chickens and ducks. I thought I was going to get by easily with such a mild winter, but a good snowfall snuck in here, right before winter ends. I've always been so excited about snow, but I sure do worry about my flocks now and I'm ready for spring! My daughter is 8 years old and although she's a little worried about our birds, she's loving that she's out of school tomorrow and having a blast playing in this snow. If I'm not mistaken, this is the longest we've been without snow in a really long time. So you must live in the mountains? I'm so jealous because NC has absolutely stunning mountains!

Edited to add that another thing about living in Central NC is that I'm not very far from the mountains or the beach. Since I have chickens and ducks, I only like to consider day trips, at least until we can find someone that we trust to care for our 17 chickens, 6 ducks, and 2 Maltese dogs, plus I believe we're hosting a pair of Canada Geese for the time being and they expect to eat whenever the ducks do. The geese will actually come up on their own, like they've learned from the ducks, to let me know they're hungry :love

When i begin to read this thread i was a bit surprised and confused. However after reading you have silkies i got it. My smallest young lady is some kind of green easter egger. so none of my birds have any qualms about playing in the snow. today we had a nice 2" blanket and they were starting a riot because i let them out later than normal. Then all but mobbed me when i opened the door. They certainly seemed to enjoy the snow more than me.

Unfortunately I'm not in our gorgeous mountains, but I'm not too far. I'm in Central NC, Moore County. The more known towns really close by are Pinehurst and Carthage. Raleigh is about 1.5 hours away from me and Fayetteville is about an hour away. I've been in NC for my entire 40 years but in Moore County since 1995. This is my first winter with chickens and ducks. I thought I was going to get by easily with such a mild winter, but a good snowfall snuck in here, right before winter ends. I've always been so excited about snow, but I sure do worry about my flocks now and I'm ready for spring! My daughter is 8 years old and although she's a little worried about our birds, she's loving that she's out of school tomorrow and having a blast playing in this snow. If I'm not mistaken, this is the longest we've been without snow in a really long time. So you must live in the mountains? I'm so jealous because NC has absolutely stunning mountains!

Edited to add that another thing about living in Central NC is that I'm not very far from the mountains or the beach. Since I have chickens and ducks, I only like to consider day trips, at least until we can find someone that we trust to care for our 17 chickens, 6 ducks, and 2 Maltese dogs, plus I believe we're hosting a pair of Canada Geese for the time being and they expect to eat whenever the ducks do. The geese will actually come up on their own, like they've learned from the ducks, to let me know they're hungry :love
We do live in the mountains and would not have it any other way. Western NC was definitely on our radar for places to settle down. It is gorgeous! I know your neck of the woods a little. Ive driven through NC dozens of times but rarely have had the opportunity to stop and smell the roses.

When i begin to read this thread i was a bit surprised and confused. However after reading you have silkies i got it. My smallest young lady is some kind of green easter egger. so none of my birds have any qualms about playing in the snow. today we had a nice 2" blanket and they were starting a riot because i let them out later than normal. Then all but mobbed me when i opened the door. They certainly seemed to enjoy the snow more than me.

I ended up going a little bit off topic, so I can understand your feelings. My apologies. I absolutely love the folks here and often go on and on chatting when I shouldn't, but I'm sure many of the regulars know how terrible I am at "cutting to the point" and always leave replies that should probably have their own chapters :oops: My "Starlight Green Egger" is a hatchery named easter egger or red sex link (can't remember but it's another one of those individual Hatcheries putting their name on something). I LOVE that little pullet though. (See there..... I just did it again) My silkie pullet is 2.2 lbs, silkie cockerel is 2.6 lbs, and the little green egger is 3.2 lbs, so I am a bit worried about the little birds. Thankfully, Dharma, the green egger has regular feathering and does not seem to get cold like the silkies. From what I've learned, everyone should be safe from the weather, for now. I changed everyone's bedding and checked over everything as best as I know how. I love to hear that your flock loves the snow so much! I'm hoping I can get some pictures of some of my birds enjoying it. My dogs were like, "no thanks", as soon as they noticed it. They don't want to get their feet wet :lol:

We do live in the mountains and would not have it any other way. Western NC was definitely on our radar for places to settle down. It is gorgeous! I know your neck of the woods a little. Ive driven through NC dozens of times but rarely have had the opportunity to stop and smell the roses.

That's really neat! I'm jealous! You live in an absolute beautiful place, probably one of the most beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom