Wintering ducks in Alaska

im in kodiak and granted it not that cold but i have 11 chickens, 9 ducks and a turkey that i keep in a 8x12 coop that was a shed, and a 8x16 run that a coved the roof and 2 sides with a tarp this yr and the girls are happy. ive only had my water frozen 2 times tis yr. i only have a reading lamp that is on for 16 hrs a day. its only been down to 18 at night here. good luck

The temp is rising today.... up from -20 to -3 YAY!! Its supposed to be above zero tomorrow and ill be able to take the ducks out and clean the coop fully. So glad for that. The bad part of winter wont be until January and February, March will still be a bit crappy but April will start to warm up, may will be the good month and June will be heaven.

The temp is rising today.... up from -20 to -3 YAY!! Its supposed to be above zero tomorrow and ill be able to take the ducks out and clean the coop fully. So glad for that. The bad part of winter wont be until January and February, March will still be a bit crappy but April will start to warm up, may will be the good month and June will be heaven.
Something to look forward too.
big_smile.png

I was born in Pa; my husband and I moved to Tok, AK six years ago. It does get cold here. Sixty to seventy below most winters but its only hit fifty-eight the last two, but alas this year its already been sixty three. At least when its that cold its a dry cold and very still, almost no wind at all. I actually prefer it to the crazy winds they get in the Matsu valley and Delta area.
The chickens in the garage are contained in a closed in shed we can move outside in the spring. Last year we had them in a fenced in run in the garage and it was still messy with all the chicken dust. Chickens are a lot hardier than a lot of people think.........we had it get close to twenty below in the greenhouse (I always tried to keep it above zero) and the worse that happened was frost bit combs. I don't know about ducks, but they are supposed to be hardier?
We are off grid so no heat lamps but we do run a fluorescent bulb for extra light.

We do have harsh winters up here and I have to agree with you on the wind.... I like the Salcha area. Hardly any wind. But when its summer time it makes up for the long winters. :)

Back
Top Bottom