wintering my chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pamperedpoultry, Feb 6, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I hope this is the right place to post, it was either here or feeding and watering... anyhows this is the first winter I've had chickens and the worst winter we've had in awhile as far as cold weather. I have 10 small pens just big enough for pairs trios or quads
    and 2 pretty good size runs one has my older chickens I hatched back in the summer and another on that has fall chickens... anyhows I'm looking for an easier way to winter them as far as water goes. I've heard many people talk about them not having their chickens speperated in there pairs during the winter so I'm assuming they put them all together. I'm just wonder how that would work for me. Ive got a few different types of OEGB, brown leghorn batams, cochin bantams and japanese black tails right I have 70 +/- right now.. I know I'd have to have a pretty good sized lot for that many but I dont plan on having that many this winter... I just wonder how bad mine would fight and how much of an aggrivation it would be... cant be worse than what I do now... I love breakin water every morning before work...ugh!!!!!

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Sounds like some heated waterers would work for you. If you do a search here, you will find all kinds of info about homemade ones, or try the heated dog waterers at Walmart.

You would probably spend even more time before work mending chickens if you tossed them all in together. I did it with my 12, and had WWIII!

I get up every morning right now to de-ice. It's South Carolina, it's not supposed to be FROZEN!!!! I am ready for spring, too!

[​IMG]

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I use Gallon milk jugs for water all year but they are the best in the winter. The ice just pops out. If your chickens arn't laying in the winter only one good drink a day is surfecent for them. If you want eggs two drinks will work.Chickens have a crop to store water for 12 hours. My 3 hens have laid 100% since Jan 1. Only had one day that the water didn't freeze.

4. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:well believe me I've thought of the heaters but then I thought too it would be a chore in its own getting through all the cords ran all over the place... no to mention we've already got 3 cords ran, 2 to the water for the horses and 1 with heat lamps in my run for the younger chickens... its a obstical course in the yard now... ha ha

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Could you go to using those rubbery, flexible bowls for water, so the ice pops out easier? That might make it a little easier for you. It's a tough choice, between lots of heaters/cords, trying to combine a whole bunch of roosters or dealing with ice every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by