Wintering Seramas

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
Ok, how hard is it to overwinter Seramas? I'm in Southern Indiana / KY, and it can get down to freezing in the late winter. The barn isn't insulated, but it's not open air either. Everyone seemed fine last year- even the bantams. They mostly stayed inside, but nobody froze. The Seramas i've heard are delicate though. What if they're allowed to acclimate slowly like the rest? I don't want to lost them by any means, but I can't think of any way to really keep them WARM, yanno? I also can't keep them all together in a hutch, because there's two rood and a hen. They're ride her to death. Opinions? Anyone keeping Seramas in colder areas?

I'm sure it doesn't get as cold where I'm at but I put a light in my little Serama coop when I know it's going to freeze to give them extra warmth and I cover the top of the coop also to keep the heat inside. Maybe that would help you too. Just a suggestion.
smile.png

I have four seramas and I found that I had to keep a heat lamp running on cold days (sometimes it would get to -30 or lower over here!) If I didn't they would kind of just sit real still with their tails down and their combs would lighten and they started getting sick (sneezing and coughing). Once I put the heat lamp on them they were all good again. This year I have A B sizes so I'm not sure how well they will do (my first winter with them). I have them in a coop attached to the wall in my main coop. My itty bitty girl who is almost 4 months now but only weighs in at 3.5 ounces right now is in with all the silkie chicks I have LOL She is smaller then most of THEM. She will stay in with them over the winter just for the warmth. Good luck and please let us all know how they do over winter. It will help me out for next year
wink.png
What sizes do you have?

Back
Top Bottom