Wintering Seramas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Badhbh, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Ok, how hard is it to overwinter Seramas? I'm in Southern Indiana / KY, and it can get down to freezing in the late winter. The barn isn't insulated, but it's not open air either. Everyone seemed fine last year- even the bantams. They mostly stayed inside, but nobody froze. The Seramas i've heard are delicate though. What if they're allowed to acclimate slowly like the rest? I don't want to lost them by any means, but I can't think of any way to really keep them WARM, yanno? I also can't keep them all together in a hutch, because there's two rood and a hen. They're ride her to death. Opinions? Anyone keeping Seramas in colder areas?

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I'm sure it doesn't get as cold where I'm at but I put a light in my little Serama coop when I know it's going to freeze to give them extra warmth and I cover the top of the coop also to keep the heat inside. Maybe that would help you too. Just a suggestion. [​IMG]

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Good luck!

4. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Use the search feature, there are many good posts on this.

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    How big is the area that they are in? Is it drafty anywhere?

If you did have a hutch, could you give the boys another bantam hen or two to winter with them?

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    That is great! Very informative...glad you took the time to write about all that you have learned!

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have four seramas and I found that I had to keep a heat lamp running on cold days (sometimes it would get to -30 or lower over here!) If I didn't they would kind of just sit real still with their tails down and their combs would lighten and they started getting sick (sneezing and coughing). Once I put the heat lamp on them they were all good again. This year I have A B sizes so I'm not sure how well they will do (my first winter with them). I have them in a coop attached to the wall in my main coop. My itty bitty girl who is almost 4 months now but only weighs in at 3.5 ounces right now is in with all the silkie chicks I have LOL She is smaller then most of THEM. She will stay in with them over the winter just for the warmth. Good luck and please let us all know how they do over winter. It will help me out for next year [​IMG] What sizes do you have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by