Winterize

Can you show me a pic? Sounds like a great idea.
Here’s a picture:

1701300756228.jpeg

The leaves make it hard to see, but the bowl is up on a short log like the one the pullet is standing on. There’s another log lying sideways in front of it, which in addition to being a step, also stands in the way so they can’t dig and scratch too close to the bowl and kick crap into the water. That, plus the elevation, keep the water clean.

I wouldn’t put water inside the coop, especially an open waterer like this. The evaporation will raise the humidity in the coop, raising the risk of frostbite when that humidity condenses and freezes on the chickens’ fleshy bits. I also wouldn’t want anybody stepping or falling into the water and getting themselves and the bedding wet. Outside, there’s more room, and they go into that corner only to drink, so they don’t step into the water at all. But the coop is smaller than the run, and even with ample space, they still manage to step in and on everything, in their shuffle on/off the roosts, the nesting boxes, etc. So my waterer stays outside year round, there’s no water inside the coop.

I use metal waterers on heat bases, with the electric cords up along the wall to the outlet. We tried one of those miserable bottom filling plastic heated waterers, and hated it. It's now in our tack room as a last ditch backup, if it's ever needed.
And the heated dog bowls work, as long as you don't have roosters with big combs and wattles, or have a bird who wants to stand in it, or on it's edge.
We used one in our barn when we had a barn cat, and the chickens who visited the barn used it too.
And our waterers are in separate coop areas, all fine.
Mary

Okay, good suggestions that'll I'll look into.
I just realized that my "easy fill" heated fount is still bottom filled which is really a pain once I have the cording situation taken care of.
I want to get a top filling heated water fount but the only kind I see have these nipple thingys...will my chickens adjust to this new method instead of the easy trough they have been raised up with?

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Heated-Poultry-Waterer-Gallon/dp/B07KRLX1MJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3A9KK4NIE7HVV&keywords=heated+top+fill+chicken+waterer&qid=1701283478&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=heated+top+fill+chick,lawngarden,89&sr=1-6
That's the waterer I'm using as well. I did have one chicken struggle to adjust, despite months of training. I ended up using these nipples instead of the ones that come with it:
Rentacoop Nipples
They come with these snap on cups, which both catch the drippings and help the chickens aim. Took a couple weeks, but I've since removed the cups and she's drinking like a champ. Another bonus is the rentacoop nipples come with a gasket which prevents leaks. Strong recommend for the Premier 1. Keeps the water nice and clean as well.

Back
Top Bottom