Winterize

bear0806

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
We purchased a plastic heated watering fount for our 9 chickens. Quick questions:
1) As this will be resting on the ground, how do you cover the electrical cord so as not to be pecked on?
2) I hear about people hanging their water/feed troughs...if you hang them by the handle don't they spill water on the floor of the run every time they peck for water or bump into it?
3) Do full grown chickens really need a heat lamp for winter? We have black astolopps, Buff Orpingtons and Salmon Faberelle. Our temps in NY get down to the teens sometimes with the occasional dip below 0.
thank you

1. There's something called cord wrap, or cord protector. It's a thick plastic spiral that goes around the cord. I would absolutely use that if your chickens are able to get at the electrical.
2. I have the same thought, so I personally wouldn't hang it.
3. No heat. You have fantastic winter-hardy breeds! Make sure the coop is ventilated, but the birds themselves are protected from wind. They'll do great!

My heated waterer is in a corner of the run next to the fencing, so I zip tie the cord up along the fence inside the corner, and out of the way of the chickens. They don't seem to care about or bother the cord that's running up the fence, and it's hard for them to reach anyway because it's in the corner, behind the waterer.

Okay, good suggestions that'll I'll look into.
I just realized that my "easy fill" heated fount is still bottom filled which is really a pain once I have the cording situation taken care of.
I want to get a top filling heated water fount but the only kind I see have these nipple thingys...will my chickens adjust to this new method instead of the easy trough they have been raised up with?

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Heat...ix=heated+top+fill+chick,lawngarden,89&sr=1-6

How many chickens do you have? I use a large heated dog bowl and love it! It's so much easier to fill and clean than any of the closed waterers, and it has no little pieces that could malfunction, leak, freeze, etc. like the little cups, nipples and whatnot. The first zip tie holding the cord to the fence is about 2 feet above the waterer, which gives me enough free cord at the bottom to be able to tip the bowl over to pour old/dirty water out. I bring water to it in a separate bucket and just dump the bucket into the water bowl. Very quick and easy. I have the bowl elevated on a short stump so that the chickens don't kick bedding into it. This setup has been working out great for me.

How many chickens do you have? I use a large heated dog bowl and love it! It's so much easier to fill and clean than any of the closed waterers, and it has no little pieces that could malfunction, leak, freeze, etc. like the little cups, nipples and whatnot. The first zip tie holding the cord to the fence is about 2 feet above the waterer, which gives me enough free cord at the bottom to be able to tip the bowl over to pour old/dirty water out. I bring water to it in a separate bucket and just dump the bucket into the water bowl. Very quick and easy. I have the bowl elevated on a short stump so that the chickens don't kick bedding into it. This setup has been working out great for me.
Can you show me a pic? Sounds like a great idea.

Okay, good suggestions that'll I'll look into.
I just realized that my "easy fill" heated fount is still bottom filled which is really a pain once I have the cording situation taken care of.
I want to get a top filling heated water fount but the only kind I see have these nipple thingys...will my chickens adjust to this new method instead of the easy trough they have been raised up with?

https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Heated-Poultry-Waterer-Gallon/dp/B07KRLX1MJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3A9KK4NIE7HVV&keywords=heated+top+fill+chicken+waterer&qid=1701283478&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=heated+top+fill+chick,lawngarden,89&sr=1-6
That's the waterer I have (and I wrote a detailed review for the version I own: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/premier-1-heated-poultry-waterer.11903/) but you will likely need to teach them to use the nipples. It will need to be their sole source of water during training, and you can either pick up a few birds and use their beaks to toggle the nipple, allow them to drink, repeat, and let them go - and the rest of the flock should learn by watching, OR "peck" at the nipple with your finger while the birds are watching, to get their interest.

Here's a chick learning from watching adults use the nipples.
early9.jpg

As far as the cord I have a chain link fence just behind the waterer and I just wind it through the fencing to have it up and out of the way. The birds have never ever shown interest in the cord.

I also worry about them getting in it and splashing the water all over the place. Any trouble with that? This would be in the coop for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom