Winterized run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ozark hen, Dec 28, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    WEll, today, the neighbor delivered my first large round bale of hay for my winter run. We got a real workout unrolling it and the chickens act like they have died and gone to heaven! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We plan on unrolling one the first part of Feb. and again in March, depending on how quickly they go through this one. Now the plan is to keep the ground from freezing, giving them lots of seeds to pick at and come spring, lots of new growth from the seeds that worked their way into the ground. [​IMG]
    I have been anxious to try this since reading about it in Backyard Poultry. Now let's see how if works as planned? [​IMG]
    Oh, as an added bonus...with the ground not freezing the grubs, etc. will be there for the chickens, too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW, that's a LOT of hay! [​IMG]
    And I love the CD "ornaments."
    Good luck with the hay, let us know how it works out!

3. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    they look really happy. i know mine love to pick through stuff like that. they distribute any hay the goats drop (NOT that a goat would be so inclined) and spread it all around. i like it for my feet, keeps the ground softer.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did the same thing to the dirt floor of my runs and coops to winterize them!! My chickens absolutely love it! They think they are in heaven picking through and eating all of the grains and alfalfa leaves, etc. When it is worn down I will just open another bale and spread it around. I did the same thing last year and it worked very well! Ozark hen, are the CD's to keep the hawks away?

5. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Thanks all, yes, the cd's are to keep the hawks and whatever else comes from the sky away. Learned that from Speckled Hen!!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] My girls went NUTS when I put two bales in the coop - still tied, just as like a breeze break and to help keep them warmer..... every now and then I'll toss a handful of the hay into the run and they scratch it to PIECES with absolute DELIGHT!

Now you got me thinking, cause I have two and a half round bales standing in the field next to the horse's run....... [​IMG]

7. meloncholy88

meloncholy88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I like the cd idea, haven't heard of that. I have a real hawk problem. I fenced in my whole backyard, argh they are terrible.

Do the CD's really work?

8. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I bought a bale of hay for my hens, but haven't spread it around yet. I kinda freaked out after reading about impacted crop problems from hay. Have you had any of those type of problems?

9. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Ozark, Yay! Your hay arrived. [​IMG] It arrived early, huh? It looks wonderful! You can tell the chickens are in heaven. You really sold me on the idea. I still need to find a farmer in the area to sell some to me. DH says his brother knows someone. Keep us posted on how you like it.

10. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Wow they look happy

I put up clear strong fishing line. You cant see it but everythime it snows it looks like a huge spiderweb above my house. I also put up CD's but had to take the ones down in the front yard. when the brite sun would hit them just right "it the summer" it was like a strobe light, it was distracting and I was afraid it would cause a car accident.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by