Winterizing Coop - PLEASE HELP!!!

ourlittleflock

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
North Carolina
We are getting close to winter and I would like to get everything in order before it gets here.. I have a open coop - the winter can get very chilly at time, maybe a couple nights in the teens..

I have the outside figured out - Since we are owners of a sign shop I can get a clear plastic corogated material (kinda like a green house material).. This will allow the sun to shine in but keep the direct wind out, rain or snow out.. That is if we get snow - winters are hit and miss here..

I need to know what would be the best for the flooring.. What would be the best way to keep it clean but allow their poop to provide heating..

attached are a couple of pic of the coop = any ideas would be very helpful
32670_img_1209.jpg

they each have their own huddle boxes
32670_try1.jpg

We are close to you and plan to cover in our original wooden run, turn that in to the hen house and leave them with access to the outside chain link fenced run. We will use particle board all round with vent holes drilled and windows we can open for ventilation. On the roof, board along with a layer of insulation and also corrugated plastic or tin on top of that angled to one side to keep everything as dry as possible.

I really like the cedar huddle boxes. I live in Missouri and I always try to keep at least four chickens to a roost. I can't freeze four that are huddled together for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom