Winterizing Nipple Waterers? UPDATE Really? No One Knows?

Also in Massachusetts, woke up to frozen nipples, went to home depot and got this insulation to wrap my bucket. I cut a piece of the silver insulation and fit it into the bottom and marked and trimmed around the nipples then took a old bucket cut the bottom and top off, wrapped the bucket with the nipples with the silver insulation and slid the cut bucket over the insulation so nobody can peck at it.Also picked up a piece of foam insulation and marked and cut it out so it fits inside under the lid. In conjunction with the stock tank heater I have been using this should stop the freezing at -15 this has to help keep the heat in compared to what I had before.

Nope didn't work, no ice in the bucket or on the lid but the nipples were frozen, I'm ripping my hair out trying to figure something out that will keep them thawed, short of standing there with a blow torch all day, I guess -15 is just to cold for anything to work.

Mine has been working fine to about 15 degrees after that it's just to cold, I would love to put it in the coop but there just isn't enough room.

Maybe in this type of weather we just need to use an open heated dog bowl? Any idea what temps they are rated to?
I don't know but my horse trough has a livestock tank heater that you just toss into the water and plug in. It only cycles on at +40 degrees and only stays on as long as the water temperature is less than that. I've never had even a hint of ice in more years than I can remember.

One potential problem is if the water dries up and you forget to un-plug the heater. In that case the heater may stay on continuously (below +40 degrees air temperature) and either burn up the heating element or become a fire hazard.

Last edited:
My solution consists of a 2 part system and as of this morning has been tested to -7F. I use a five gallon bucket with 3 nipples in the bottom. I have the bucket wrapped with an 18' thermostatically controlled heat tape which I protect from pecking by the use of a second bucket slid over the first that I have removed the bottom on and split vertically from the top to within 3" of the bottom. This allows it to pretty much slide all the way on securing the heat tape and leaving a lip hanging about 2" below the bottom of the first bucket. The gap were the second bucket is split is covered with duct tape. Using this set up has ensured non frozen nipples and water to about 10F anything below this the water stays liquid but the nipples freeze. This is where the second part comes in, for this I have made a simple convection heater to heat maintain heat around the nipples making use of the lip created by the second bucket to contain the heat where I want it. To make the convection heater I used a piece of 4" galvanized hvac duct cut about 2" shorter than the distance from the coop floor to the bottom of my hanging bucket, I capped it on one end with a duct cap, then about 4" from the bottom (capped end) I drilled a 1" hole and inserted a snap-in candelabra base socket with an attached cord, then on the open end of the duct I covered it with aluminum foil secured in place by duct tape. In the aluminum foil I made a few slits with a knife and in the socket I used a 40w round bulb. This convection heater is then placed capped end down inside a 1/2 cement block and positioned under the bucket between the nipples. Like I said thus far I have seen -7F without frozen nipples. A few words of caution on the snap in candelabra base, most are equipped with a switch make sure the switch is positioned or covered in electrical tape so water cannot drip on or get inside it. I only turn this in when the forecast indicates temps below 10F. The reason I consider this a convection heater and why you will need to use a snap in lamp base or add holes below the light if you use a different mounting method for the light is that air will enter the gap around the snap in base, become heated by the light bulb, naturally rise, escape through the slits in the aluminum foil then become trapped by the lip created by the second bucket thus heating the nipples. I like this setup because the combined wattage (heat tape and 40w bulb) is just over 160w. Hopefully this all makes since and will help you have frost free nipples ;).

Also tested to -7F as this morning, non frozen nipples:

3 gal bucket
2 vertical nipples
50w aquarium heater, set to 67F

Next year I will convert to horizontal nipples, wrap the bucket in Reflectix mylar bubble wrap and be able to use the stock tank heater and only keep the water temp at 40F. The setup I have now works, but I am hoping that bucket height will be less critical with the horizontal nipples. With the vertical ones, the birds all get water on themselves due to the one size fits all bucket height (I have both regular and banty birds).

Also tested to -7F as this morning, non frozen nipples:

3 gal bucket
2 vertical nipples
50w aquarium heater, set to 67F

Next year I will convert to horizontal nipples, wrap the bucket in Reflectix mylar bubble wrap and be able to use the stock tank heater and only keep the water temp at 40F. The setup I have now works, but I am hoping that bucket height will be less critical with the horizontal nipples. With the vertical ones, the birds all get water on themselves due to the one size fits all bucket height (I have both regular and banty birds).
You will LOVE the horizontal nipples. I have a brooder of chicks who have been using them from DAY ONE. They will never drink dirty water. Well......other than rain puddles which for some reason my older chickens think is a spa experience. If you want to retrofit your bucket Susan at Allboutchickens sells the nipples or you can get them on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom