Winterizing Nipple Waterers? UPDATE Really? No One Knows?

Also tested to -7F as this morning, non frozen nipples:

3 gal bucket
2 vertical nipples
50w aquarium heater, set to 67F

Next year I will convert to horizontal nipples, wrap the bucket in Reflectix mylar bubble wrap and be able to use the stock tank heater and only keep the water temp at 40F. The setup I have now works, but I am hoping that bucket height will be less critical with the horizontal nipples. With the vertical ones, the birds all get water on themselves due to the one size fits all bucket height (I have both regular and banty birds).
I sell the horizontal nipples. I don't have them in my store yet as it's just getting setup, but all the options and prices will be up soon. I can't put an advertisement on BYC until I have more post activity. I use the horizontal nipples in my own coop and they are much better during the winter than the vertical nipples. I'm using a 5 gallon bucket with a drop in heater. My girls love it and I love that their coop is dry.

This is my first winter with 7 chickens. I live in West Michigan where it gets pretty cold because of the lake effect snow and winds. I'm in the process of winterizing the coop and am trying to figure out what to do about the waterers without having to take a bucket out there every day to refill. I've read through the posts and most suggest heating the water but I don't have any electrical out to my coop. In addition, it's fairly small so there isn't a lot of extra room.

Anyone have a small coop that has figured out the best methods? I've been tossing around the idea of getting horizontal waters and a heating element by running an extension cord from the house.

Thanks!

This is my first winter with 7 chickens. I live in West Michigan where it gets pretty cold because of the lake effect snow and winds. I'm in the process of winterizing the coop and am trying to figure out what to do about the waterers without having to take a bucket out there every day to refill. I've read through the posts and most suggest heating the water but I don't have any electrical out to my coop. In addition, it's fairly small so there isn't a lot of extra room.

Anyone have a small coop that has figured out the best methods? I've been tossing around the idea of getting horizontal waters and a heating element by running an extension cord from the house.

Thanks!
I have the same problem, small coop, no electricity, don't want to run an extension cord in fear of fire hazard, can't trench an electric conduits due to many tree roots in the way. So here is my idea of an insulated water bucket with horizontal nipples, I am pretty sure that it will reduce the frequency of water freezing and number of trips to haul hot water to the coop. The materials and construction are pretty straight forward as shown in the photos. This is basically a 2 gal. bucket inside a 5 gal bucket surround by insulation.

1. Cut two layers of 1" rigid insulation board to shape to line the bottom of the 5 gal bucket.
2. Remove the small bucket handle, put the smaller bucket inside the larger one.
3. Shim the sides using vertical strips of rigid foam board then fill the gap with spray insulation foam designed for big gaps.

4. While the spray foam is curing overnight, cut two more layers of rigid insulation foam, shape to fit the bucket caps as the top insulation cover.
5. Drill a 2" hole though both bucket caps and the top foam layers.

6. Assemble the PVC parts through the hole in the caps to be used as a water filling port.

7. Drill two (or how many you need) 11/32" holes about 1" above the bottom of the inner bucket. Insert a 3" segment of the 11/32" rigid tubing, then seal the seams with specialty silicon.
8. Trim off the excess tubing, insert the horizontal chicken nipples to the outside end of the tubing.

9. Wait for the silicon to fully cure before adding water to the bucket. It may take up to 2 weeks for curing depending on the temperature.

To prevent the chickens from roosting on top of the bucket, put a cone on top. If black color buckets are available, use the darker colors ones to absorb more heat.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, small coop, no electricity, don't want to run an extension cord in fear of fire hazard, can't trench an electric conduits due to many tree roots in the way. So here is my idea of an insulated water bucket with horizontal nipples, I am pretty sure that it will reduce the frequency of water freezing and number of trips to haul hot water to the coop. The materials and construction are pretty straight forward as shown in the photos. This is basically a 3 gal. bucket inside a 5 gal bucket surround by insulation.

1. Cut two layers of 1" rigid insulation board to shape to line the bottom of the 5 gal bucket.
2. Remove the small bucket handle, put the smaller bucket inside the larger one.
3. Shim the sides using vertical strips of rigid foam board then fill the gap with spray insulation foam designed for big gaps.

4. While the spray foam is curing overnight, cut two more layers of rigid insulation foam, shape to fit the bucket caps as the top insulation cover.
5. Drill a 2" hole though both bucket caps and the top foam layers.

6. Assemble the PVC parts through the hole in the caps to be used as a water filling port.

7. Drill two (or how many you need) 11/32" holes about 1" above the bottom of the inner bucket. Insert a 3" segment of the 11/32" rigid tubing, then seal the seams with specialty silicon.
8. Trim off the excess tubing, insert the horizontal chicken nipples to the outside end of the tubing.

9. Wait for the silicon to fully cure before adding water to the bucket. It may take up to 2 weeks for curing depending on the temperature.

To prevent the chickens from roosting on top of the bucket, put a cone on top. If black color buckets are available, use the darker colors ones to absorb more heat.

That's awesome. I need to make a new waterer but have the vertical nipples. I think I will try this. I have a ton of buckets laying around. I think you should post this on the DIY contest thread!

My bucket is a plastic bucket (actually a sunflower seed bucket from the ballpark). Can a heater be put into it?

I have PVC attached going across with 2 nipples for 3 hens

My bucket is a plastic bucket (actually a sunflower seed bucket from the ballpark). Can a heater be put into it?

I have PVC attached going across with 2 nipples for 3 hens

They make heaters for plastic buckets but from what people have said the water in the pvc pipes will still freeze.

Back
Top Bottom