Winterizing quail coop

TwoShepherds

Crowing
Apr 4, 2019
Southeast TN
I've read that quail are pretty hardy in the winter and need to be kept dry and protected from wind, rain, and snow. I've just bought a coop from a local family, and it has a wood frame with wire mesh floor, top, back and front. The left and right sides are wooden. If I covered the top and back with a tarp and added hidey places with straw on the inside would that be sufficient to keep them warm? We live in TN which has relatively mild winters. It gets cold but very little snow. I can put the whole thing in my garage if I have to, but I think they'd be happier outside if I could make it work (and also I would see them more if they were outside).

Thanks for reading, and I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times. :)

Attachments

• quail coop.jpg
    quail coop.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 49
I've read that quail are pretty hardy in the winter and need to be kept dry and protected from wind, rain, and snow. I've just bought a coop from a local family, and it has a wood frame with wire mesh floor, top, back and front. The left and right sides are wooden. If I covered the top and back with a tarp and added hidey places with straw on the inside would that be sufficient to keep them warm? We live in TN which has relatively mild winters. It gets cold but very little snow. I can put the whole thing in my garage if I have to, but I think they'd be happier outside if I could make it work (and also I would see them more if they were outside).

Thanks for reading, and I apologize if this has been asked a hundred times. :)
Make sure that they have somewhere with a solid floor so their feet stay warm. Your plan sounds fine.

Back
Top Bottom