Winterizing Run

chickenthyme

Songster
Feb 3, 2018
NE Ohio
I'm not ready for the weather change but I know it's coming. :( The last two winters I have used 3 sheets of opaque heavy plastic. It has worked but wondered whether anyone had any better ideas. I'd really like something more clear just so I can see the girls from the house.

I'm not ready for the weather change but I know it's coming. :( The last two winters I have used 3 sheets of opaque heavy plastic. It has worked but wondered whether anyone had any better ideas. I'd really like something more clear just so I can see the girls from the house.
I use vapour barrier plastic and nope you can't see through it ..:hmm
It definitely acts like a green house on warm days though. My Birds still dust bath and venture out. My top is covered in mesh wire with a tarp too...:frow

We use the 'clear' vinyl wrap that comes on rolls, and it lets light through, but can't see the birds through it. The price is right!
I guess plexiglass or glass window panels are the best solution.
Mary

Thanks for your input. I have an Omlet run right now with a tent like material roof on top that we added on. Works good for shading overhead for the summer but run is on the north side and there have been times I wished it let the sunlight in just for the warmth factor in the winter.

We use two layers of that clear vinyl wrap, with it not covering the upper foot of the hardware cloth, and the sun shining on it on the south side helps keep temps up a bit in winter.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom